In one week we have found Little Miss E's picture in two widespread media publications - the City's quarterly newsletter and recreation guide (yep, that's her front and center in yoga class above) and the front page of her school's newly updated website.
Yes, she LOVES to have her picture taken, and her radiant smile, beauty and bigger than life personality are quite photogenic. I can't resist taking pictures of her on a daily basis. However, the whole thing leaves Brent and me with small, but hard to ignore, pits in our stomachs. Let me show you another picture from Elsa's yoga camp:
Notice anything? Yeah, and her summer camp looked the same, except Ashagre and she jointly solely represented the African American race among upwards of one hundred kids in all but one session when one older brown-skinned girl, who became fast friends with Elsa, was also enrolled in the camp. Ashagre's lego camps looked identical to the photo above. He, of course, was the only, although you may have assumed differently prior to dropping him off if you would have looked at the City's summer camp guide. It featured a front and center picture of our friend E, one of the nine kids adopted from Ethiopia residing in our community, participating in lego camp last year.
Here's a screen shot of the kids' school's new webpage (can you find Elsa?):
Here's a shot from Elsa's classroom on the first day of school:
It's busy (this is what school looks like when parents, and in the first week younger siblings too, are fully integrated into the classroom), but the pattern is not lost. Elsa is the only. I don't have a picture of Ashagre's class, but Brent and I quietly celebrated that he is one of two brown-skinned kids in his class this year. One of two - something to celebrate. I'm not certain yet, but I would guess that while most have one, it's the only classroom with two. Yes, each kid's classroom also has at least one bi-racial child and a small handful of other non-white races represented. Regardless, both the kids and I know exactly how many other brown-skinned kids attend their small school: nine. Nine out of roughly 300, three percent.
Now the school would be quick to point out that three percent actually over-represents African Americans found in our community, who make up two percent of Ventura's population according to the 2010 census. When I arrived at a barely-attended meeting on diversity at the school late one night last year I was informed of this fact. The school is currently grappling with how to increase its hispanic population so that the school community more closely represents not only the largely hispanic neighborhood the school is located in, but the City and the County as a whole.
I remember when we first started exploring schools (back when all we knew of Elsa and Ashagre were their over-analyzed referral pictures). I was at first excited and then quickly a bit more guarded when I glimpsed their school's (old) webpage. It, even more so than the new one above featuring Elsa, prominently showcased a beautiful African American boy with a radiant smile front and center among a small handful of white children. Once the kids started attending, I often wondered how that boy's parents felt about his placement on the school's homepage. Now I know.*
As a white parent of two black kids I have become hyper-aware of the media that defines my kid's world. Brent and I are constantly trying to increase the number of opportunities our kids have to see a world that includes likenesses of themselves. But what about when it's not a likeness? What about when they are the token black kids in our community's media? On one hand, I'm glad they're not being ignored. People are noticing and including them in our world. But for what purpose? And how does/will it affect them? They are already acutely aware that the are often the only? How will seeing it in print or on a website magnify that experience? When will they realize what's going on and how will they feel about it then?
At the moment I don't really have any answers. Only questions.
*Note: this post might be interpreted as a criticism of our kids' school. That is not my intent (although I may question their choice in website cover pictures). We specifically chose their school because of its explicit efforts to build a community that truly sees and celebrates diversity. The fact of the matter is, Ventura does not have a large African American community, and our kids would likely be the only in any classroom we put them in. We feel that at least at their current school, the culture is one that doesn't ignore the fact and proudly includes all of its students and their families. Basically, if they are going to be the only (which Brent and I still need to think critically about), at least they are part of a community that recognizes it and celebrates them for their unique beauty and value.
Second Note: Brent and I are concretely aware that we are the members in the family with the power to make decisions that increase or decrease the chances of our kids being the only. We know we have a lot of work to do and possibly some big decisions to make.



That's a lot to mull over. I appreciate how frequently you give me new things to think about with regards to parenting.
ReplyDeleteThey are using your kids. They may be using them for a laudable goal (trying to attract a more diverse population) or not, but they are still using them. Did they ask you about using those pictures? Did you sign permission slips? One thing you could do in the future is not sign the permission, or sign the opt-out. I understand why they might want to use your kids, but they should be honest with you as their parents. This just feels icky.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kyra. I agree it feels icky, hence the post. In the case of camp I registered them online and do not recall signing a media release. It may have been in the fine print and I missed it. I suspect we did sign it for the school last year. This year, they have not sent it out yet, and we will likely not sign and have a conversation with the school about why. We recently signed them up for a new session of sports at the Y and had a good debate about signing the media release/not signing. In the end we signed, and a week later, all of these pictures of our kids came out - a nice natural consequence for a bad decision (despite the fact that the pictures were not posted by the Y).
DeleteThank you for articulating a conversation that we have all of the time, and then again, not nearly enough. A conversation that has a hard time bridging the gap from talk to action, largely because, we too, live in an area with extremely low numbers of African-Americans, and few real opportunities (outside of church, which we do not attend) for really getting to know people. And, we are here, not because of choice, but because of a job. We would like to make big changes (like you allude to at the end of your post), but the whole job thing makes it super difficult to make those big changes. I don't post often, but I really, really appreciate your blog.
ReplyDeleteAmy, mom to 2 boys from ET, 7 and 3
P.S. I should clarify, that my reply was more in response to the diversity (or lack thereof) in your/our community, rather than the media piece.
ReplyDeleteAmy
Thanks for commenting Amy! It is really tough. I can't say we are totally stuck here because of work, but on some levels we are too. My husband is a carpenter and that industry is really suffering in many places; he works in a niche market and is extremely busy. We are non-relgious so we also don't attend church; however, I am considering reaching out to a couple of local black churches anyway and seeing what happens. I feel like if we are going to continue to live here I have to try.
DeleteUgh. I'll look at photos promoting schools, camps, activities, etc. differently now. Thank you for highlighting this.
ReplyDeleteMy town does have a fair amount of families from Africa, but I struggle to find where to connect, outside of a couple of churches in town.
We just talked about this the other day after a video crew chose my girl's gymnastics class to video- at the gym that day she was the only black girl- and so it was easy to see that it wasn't purely accidental that they chose our team to film. It felt weird. We decided that from here on out, when we're ever asked to sign one of those photographic waivers we will opt out. In fact, I think I'm going to ask to be opted out. Your post firms that up for me.
ReplyDeleteWhat are you going to do? Are you going to say something to the school?
Planetista - Yes, we're not going to sign the media release this year and we're going to tell the school why. They are generally easy to approach about topics like this, so I expect it will go well. I'm actually curious to see how the conversation unfolds and where it leads.
DeleteI so feel you on this. A is often featured in photos from her preschool, church nursery, etc. We purposely drive her 30 minutes across town to a gymnastics gym where she'll be in the majority once/week.
ReplyDeleteWe took a driving tour of our entire city and suburbs this weekend analyzing each neighborhood (had a momentary consideration of relocating to the 'burbs) and the percentage of African Americans in each related elementary school. Dismal results in the suburbs - 0%, 1%, 3%. We started to feel like a neighborhood school was SO diverse when we saw 5%! In the end, we decided that we cannot move to the suburbs of our city. Maybe ever. Sad since they are so much affordable than the trendy city neighborhoods. But at least the city neighborhoods sometimes hit 7% or, gasp, 12%!!
Ugh. So sorry you're having to deal with all of this. I'm afraid we will be, too,. I already feel this "give-them-special-attention-because-they-have-brown-skin-and-were-adopted" vibe coming from many at their school. I have a feeling we're going to have some difficult conversations in the coming weeks. Please blog about any epiphanies you might have.
ReplyDelete