"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Last Chance Summer Camp Out

So Brent and I had promised to take the kids camping this summer and figured we'd actually go several times. But then we bought a house and got entrenched in our routine and it just didn't happen. (It doesn't help that where we live here in SoCal you have to reserve a campsite six months in advance for summer camping in any location remotely pleasant, temperature wise - we actually tried a few other times this summer but, literally, could not get a spot).

A few weeks ago I looked up at the calendar and realized we only had three weekends or so left before school started and of those three, only one wasn't already booked. I have made a vow not to be a parent that makes promises that never happen, so I got on the computer and found us a site at Lake Casitas Recreation Area. Granted its 30 minutes up the road from our house, sweltering hot, packed to the brim with campers that prefer their campsites to feature loud, amplified music of the Hip Hop y Mas variety, and on a lake that you aren't allowed to swim in, but it's camping nonetheless.

We headed up Friday afternoon, met our friends Brooke, Meadow, and Ami, and set up camp in the still sweltering heat. Fortunately we pre-purchased tickets to the camp's waterpark for Saturday, and the whole family had a great time floating laps around the lazy river. The best part of the whole weekend though was just watching the kids ease into and then completely capitalize on the freedom only a campsite can provide. Ashagre, literally, rode his bike down the steep hill adjacent to our campsite hundreds of times (many of them he rode sidesaddle). He learned how to relax when his bike skidded out in the dirt as he took it off-road, riding up little banks and slamming on his bakes into a skid on the looser dirt. Elsa had a blast running back and forth from our camp to Meadow's. All three kids played house in the tent for hours.

Sitting (far away due to the ambient air temperature) staring into the fire after putting the kids to bed Brent and I vowed to make camping an at least once a month adventure next summer. It is just too good for all of us not to make it happen more often. Shortly after that we vowed never to camp back at Lake Casitas as we tried to fall asleep to the tuba heavy rhythm of our neighbor's Norteno music.

Helping stake down the tent.

The little duded didn't wear a shirt the whole
weekend - the boy was in his element.

Rolling around giggling hysterically in the tent.

Finally settling in with the help of a little lemonade and vodka. Brent also
didn't wear his shirt most of the weekend and put a dent in his farmer's tan.


A classic shot. Three good friends with their glow stick lanterns.

5 comments:

  1. oh, how I love the winding down of summer. great photos and great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your commitment to camping. It's one of the things I enjoyed most. To bad we didn't get to do it that often. Looks like the kiddo's had a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you wear you shirt for most of the weekend? haha JK
    Ironically I also had vodka and lemonade this past Saturday....'tis my summer drink :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids just love camping....can't wait to take Aberash next year!

    ReplyDelete