"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Indistinguishable Degrees of Separation

When Brent and I decided to adopt from Ethiopia we had NO IDEA how connected we would become to our kids' birth country. I think I envisioned a deep love for the country, similar to my love for Cambodia, forged on memories, life-altering experiences and simple human connections. I envisioned family trips over the years and books and movies and special Ethiopian feasts.

Over the past year, I've found that the depth of our connection to Ethiopia seems to ebb and flow but continues to deepen beyond anything I ever imagined. There's times it exists somewhere in the background, ever present, but not too demanding of our attention, comforting, like the freeway noise at our new house. At other times, times like now, it occupies the forefront of our existence. For whatever reason, when one connection to Ethiopia opens up, they all seem to. It's times like these that I really can't think about much else, that I truly feel like I've got one foot in this country and one foot in the other one. The same is true for the kids. These days, the ride to school is colored by conversations about E-Tiopia.

Today, completely unexpectedly and through at least nine degrees of separation, I received this picture and eleven others.


Little Miss E as a toddler, taken many years before we met her by someone that has spent more time living with her than we have. Until today, the only pictures we had of Elsa were two baby pictures and then the millions I've taken since we became a family. I cannot communicate the immensity of this gift, nor can I communicate the mess of emotions that bubble up within me as I stare into those gorgeous eyes - those same gorgeous eyes that will greet me first thing tomorrow morning when I wake her up for school. The same eyes, the same nose, the same girl, but a child I never knew.

I've often felt deeply saddened for Elsa as I watch her struggle to define herself and her place in the world. She lived an entire lifetime prior to joining our family, and then poof! Brent and I arrived on the scene and whisked her away from everything she ever knew to a foreign land. There is hardly any proof that her previous life existed, yet she lived it. It formed who she is today. Pictures like this give her just a little piece of that life back.

Many adoptive moms of older children have spoken about their yearning to know their child as an infant. I never really felt that way until today. 

The connections to Ethiopia are wide open right now, information is coming in on many fronts. I hope I can breathe deep enough to truly experience it all.

8 comments:

  1. That gives me goosebumps! I'm so happy for you all that you have these photos now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am overjoyed we were able to connect and then make more connections to people who have come to know our kids at MOC :) how amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am craving more pieces of my daughter's life before us, not for me, but so I can help her move through her healing in the best possible way. I am so happy that you have these photos. What a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ S - I very much know your craving for information. I won't post about it here, but we've been able to garner a lot of information without too much effort. Both of our kids have very different stories so what we can do and what we can collect looks very different and requires a different approach, but it has been possible with persistence. The world is a smaller and smaller place by the day (and that makes it both wonderful and extremely hard to navigate).

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine how wonderful it must be to make these connections and get a glimpse into Elsa's early life. Good news for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at her adorable little face. Oh dear. Hugs to your mama heart. This stuff is so freakin' hard and intense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. What an amazing gift, to be able to see with your own eyes the little girl she was-and-is. I know I wonder -- all the time -- what my little 3 year old was like, looked like, as a baby, as he will too, as he grows older. So happy for your little girl.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing gift that picture is. My daughter would love, love, love to have a picture of herself as a littler girl (I would too). And, I feel much the same about Ethiopia.

    ReplyDelete