"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Little Man Turns Seven and It's Epic

I need one more day in my weekend this week. Today we've officially been coming off the high from Ashagre's birthday week, and I'm plain worn out. This was the first birthday where Ashagre had American-sized expectations for his big day. He had been counting down the months and the days since at least last October after we wrapped up Elsa's birthday. He has had a detailed vision for what he wanted to do and what presents he expected to open. While his ideas changed from time to time, his enthusiasm never waned. Little Man's a lot like his Momma, and I loved sharing his excitement with him while remembering planning my own 7 year old birthday.

His requests were pretty straightforward. He wanted a party at our house with water on the trampoline. He wanted to invite everyone from his kindergarten class and a few other friends. He wanted a pinata. He wanted pizza for lunch, chocolate cake with strawberries and for us to sing him Happy Birthday. For presents he hoped for a skateboard, Heely's, and legos.

We were happy to deliver. The big bash was Saturday and it went off without a hitch. Anticipating 20+ kids and their parents we added to his vision of water on the trampoline with an 18 foot inflatable water slide in the front yard. After a short rainstorm in the morning (in August in southern California) the sun came out and the temperatures rose. By the time the kids started arriving the water at in the splash pool at the bottom of the slide had warmed up and the day was gorgeous.

Brent and I were a little nervous about hosting at our new house, especially 45 people, but it accommodated everyone really well (especially since Brent has made the garage into such a pleasant man-cave that we could use it as a shady space to hang out and keep all the food out of the sun). The water slide was fast and the kids LOVED it (as did Brent and Uncle Woosha Dog). There were squirt gun wars, scooters and cars zipping around everywhere, pinata smashing, some serious lego building in the playroom, plenty of bouncing on the trampoline, and lots of time for parents to reconnect after a few months of not seeing each other over the summer.

Ashagre, in his typical fashion, kept a pretty low profile, but always had a huge grin on his face. I'm not certain if it was everything he had dreamed it would be, but I would guess it was pretty close.

Unfortunately, we only have our phones to take pictures with these days and they don't capture active kids very well. Luckily Uncle Woosha Dog took on the photography duties for a while (thank you!).

My mom always made our pinatas growing up. I couldn't be outdone;
therefore, I had a daily date night with a pile of shredded newspaper and
 some flour and water paste every night of the week leading up to the party.

His special birthday hat made for him at camp the
day of his birthday.

The night of his actual birthday he chose dinner - sushi
(or Shoe-shi as he calls it) followed by ice cream - and
we let him open the presents that had arrived.


His one big present from us - in Ethiopian colors.

Of course, there were a few things here and there for Elsa.

We let him continue to open presents in the evening
as they arrived. Here's his second wish, Heely's shoes.
Thanks Grandma Wendy!

The morning of the big bash. Getting used to his new
board and already looking like a pro.

The "Volcano" was delivered early (before I had gotten out of my pj's) and
was set up in the mini rainstorm.

Ashagre sizes it up.

The shark pinata was completed not long before the guests were supposed
to arrive. Finishing touches were made with Sharpies and magic markers.

Kids started arriving and immediately tried out the slide. I, along with the first few parents there, had visions of broken arms. A few ground rules were set, namely, only two people down at one time. Elsa, of course, is one of the first ones down and, by far, got in the most slides over the course of the day.


This one looks painful, but she was LOVING it.





All lined up for the pinata, smallest to tallest. Notice Izaak, Ashagre, and
Elsa playing it cool in the back. They agreed to go last and use their baseball
skills to clean up.



Make a wish!


You know Uncle Woosha Dog couldn't resist the water slide.

Ashagre decided to give it a shot once some of the guests had gone home
and it wasn't quite so crazy.



He loved it as well.



She was so cold and tired.

But she couldn't resist, one more slide (or another, or another).

Eventually most of our friends said goodbye and we retreated to the playroom
so Ashagre could open his last presents. Thanks to Uncle Woosha Dog and
Aunty Laurie, my kids will know what vinyl is. Oh, and wish number three,
legos, was fulfilled and then some by his friends.

6 comments:

  1. love love love! we have a wish list that includes a skateboard. i'll need to get details from you sometime because i LOVE the ET colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have completely outdone any parties I have ever had for my kids. I love it! Looks like an awesome time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOAH! that slide thing is awesome! what a cool party. wish we could come ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pinata is fierce. Ya'll partied like it was 1999!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma Wendy & Grandpa DaveAugust 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

    Hope he has fun in his Heelies!!! I knew he wanted them! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pic of Elsa, Brent and Chris on the slide made me laugh out loud. Classic. :)

    ReplyDelete