Um, nope. Time for a reality check. This blog has come to a crossroad. Its time to either be real or shut the thing down. I'm choosing to be real. You might not like what you read.
How do you...
...blog about the fact that the honeymoon period ended several months ago and that things are far from pretty? How do you blog about the fact that one of your children is falling apart right in front of your eyes and your intuition tells you that you are doing nothing to help them, that, instead, you think you might be making it worse? How do blog about the fact that said child starts nearly every day and kicks off many bed times in a screaming fit? No - a screaming fit doesn't do it justice. How do you blog about the fact that said child becomes so angry that they become wild animal-like, their eyes fixed and blazing, their mouth foaming with screams so violent that their voice is hoarse two days later? How do you blog about the fact that, as this kid's mom, you know that the intense and high energy but usually charming sunshiny public self this child is so good at putting out into the world is really often a protection mechanism and a loud, anxiety-driven demand for help to feel more safe? How do you blog about the fact that the public has no idea what is really going on and is completely charmed by their desperate behavior, often making things worse? How do you blog about the fact that this same child has shared the wonderful and grounded being they are at their core with you, but that you can't help them feel safe enough to reveal that self very often? How do you blog about the fact that these things break your heart repeatedly every day? How do you blog about the fact that the therapist says it will get worse before it gets better?
...blog about the fact that the honeymoon period ended several months ago and that things are far from pretty? How do you blog about the fact that one of your children is falling apart right in front of your eyes and your intuition tells you that you are doing nothing to help them, that, instead, you think you might be making it worse? How do blog about the fact that said child starts nearly every day and kicks off many bed times in a screaming fit? No - a screaming fit doesn't do it justice. How do you blog about the fact that said child becomes so angry that they become wild animal-like, their eyes fixed and blazing, their mouth foaming with screams so violent that their voice is hoarse two days later? How do you blog about the fact that, as this kid's mom, you know that the intense and high energy but usually charming sunshiny public self this child is so good at putting out into the world is really often a protection mechanism and a loud, anxiety-driven demand for help to feel more safe? How do you blog about the fact that the public has no idea what is really going on and is completely charmed by their desperate behavior, often making things worse? How do you blog about the fact that this same child has shared the wonderful and grounded being they are at their core with you, but that you can't help them feel safe enough to reveal that self very often? How do you blog about the fact that these things break your heart repeatedly every day? How do you blog about the fact that the therapist says it will get worse before it gets better?
How do you blog about the fact that you find yourself having a harder and harder time finding compassion for said child despite the fact that you know with 100% certainty that it is not their fault and that they are suffering more than you are? How do you blog about the fact that compassion, understanding, and unburdened love are what your child seems to need, but that it is uncomfortable and unnatural for you to provide these things for them? How do you blog about the fact that your attachment-challenged kiddo also seems to have an attachment-challenged momma? How do you explain this without sounding like you don't love your child because you do? How do you blog about how horrid this makes you feel? How do you blog about the fact that tightly wound stress and deep seated worry are your two constant companions? How do you blog about the fact that you are growing increasingly disappointed in the parent you seem to be?
How do you blog about the fact that your other child reminds you constantly that you do have the natural ability to mother, love, nurture, snuggle and play? How do celebrate this other child's miraculously smooth and open transition into your family while their sibling is struggling right there next to them? How do you blog about this other child shutting down in a trance of tears at gymnastics because they are so afraid that they might not master a new skill on the first try? How do you blog about the fact that at least with this child, you can scoop them up and comfort them and help them feel safe enough again to rejoin the group and end the day in success? How do you blog about the fact that you suspect this deeply held fear of failure is rooted in a fear that if they're not good enough at something, anything, they'll be sent away once again?
How do you answer the constant barrage by well-meaning acquaintances inquiring about how the kids' transition is going when all they want to hear is, "Great! They've learned English, are doing great in school, play on a soccer team, and are generally two happy kids!" (not a lie, but only the surface view of how things are going too). How do you blog about the reality of adopting older children that have experienced more heartbreak in their 6 and 7 years on this earth than many of us will in our lifetimes? How do you explain the entirety of your reality in two quick sentences? How do you do it without sounding like you regret your decision, which you definitely don't? How do you blog about these things without sounding hopeless, which you definitely aren't? How do you maintain your child's privacy while letting those you love and those that love you and your kids and those that might be exploring international adoption for the first time peer through the rainbow from time to time and see the ominous and dark thunderclouds in the background for what they are? How do you let these people really see how hard you're struggling in this place of rainbows, sunshine, and thunderstorms?
I don't know. And so, I continue writing this blog because it gives me a place to memorialize the rainbow farts and sunshine - they're real too - to focus on and savor the things that are going well. To bask in the radiant smiles of my amazing kids. To connect with others that are traveling similar paths.
I guess there's always two sides to a story. We'll have to see where this one goes from here.
I guess there's always two sides to a story. We'll have to see where this one goes from here.
| Before you go calling Public Health - I washed them all tonight. We're hanging in there... |
Yeah.....that was me (and I'm not afraid to say that publicly.) It was an attempt to bring a smile to the face of my brother, who I didn't know was struggling with being a parent as much as he was.
ReplyDeleteYou guys will get through it, you guys can do anything. You don't have to do it alone. Miles may separate us, but we'll always be close....even when one or the other of us is being a douche bag (smile, it's a joke!).
If you need to vent and get advice....however misguided....or non-understanding....or silly...it may be, then for gods sake do so! I realize you worry about the kids seeing this in the future, and wondering how you could have thought they were so "bad" or if you really loved them. But I think the fact that you cared about them enough to put it out there and get help from those that love you to deal with those issues so you COULD be a better parent will show them exactly how much you DO care and how much you DO love them.
Things may get worse before they get better but they WILL GET BETTER. If there is one thing I've learned about being a parent....it's that EVERYTHING is a phase. It may be a year long, or two year long phase....but it's a phase...and it shall pass. (Of course that means some of the things you really love now will pass.....which sucks....)
Make some time for yourselves....you don't HAVE to do everything...the kids don't HAVE to constantly be busy with things. It's ok to do "enough" without doing it all. Get enough sleep. Sleep is more important then you will ever realize until you understand what you were missing. Sleep in shifts if you have to....but for gods sake get some sleep!
I know we care about the environment....and we don't want to be wasteful, but disposable things may be your friend! You can use plates more then once if they just had dry things on them like sandwiches, write the kids and your names on them (and cups). At the end of the day toss them and enjoy some down time without having to worry about the dishes. You don't have to do this every day, but it would be a nice break once or twice a week!
Make laundry a family game....who can fill the washer/dryer the fastest....who can sort the socks the fastest....one, two, three...FOLD! Talia loves to help with laundry, and it makes it not a chore.
Sew some velcro on the bottom of some goofy slippers, slap some swiffer cloths on there and make the kids "skate" around the house....poof...clean floors and a good time!
We're all here to help you, and if you hide the bad and only show the good, we wont know how to help, or that you really need it. You don't have to "out" your kids either....you can simply say "I'm having a hard time with ?????? behavior/thing today, I could use some support and advice on how to handle it."
That's my silly/misguided/non-understanding advice for the day.....take what you can use, and pitch the rest!
I hear ya! Please know you're not alone on this road. It's hard. It's confusing. It's downright gut twisting at the deepest level. And sometimes, for me anyway, the hardest part is understanding that to be a good mommy, I need to take care of me and not feel guilty about it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing this post. And you are definitely not alone! It is very hard - even though Y has transitioned into our family so easily. I feel like the one who is having the hardest time with attachment, and then of course that brings on so many feelings of guilt. Just know you're not alone and you are a GREAT Mom! You can do it!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Charity
We all wish parenting was easy and smooth, but it isn't. I am so proud of you for writing this post because showing the sunshine is just so much easier than writing the truth about frustration, guilt, and everything else. I thought I wouldn't make it through my daughter's second grade year due to some issues she was having. When I finally opened up about it to some key people (and yes, therapists were involved, bless them!) it felt so much better.
ReplyDeleteTo share the good times is easy, to share the tough ones is important. Be sure to use your support system, this blog, and do what you need to do to ensure that you and your children get through this because it is SO worth it to come out the other end closer and better
Well, for the first several months my pat response to 'how are things going' was - 'well, no one's smearing shit on the walls so we're ahead of the game.' That was my marker. And it was the truth, no matter how hard it was at home, I held on to that one fact.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how tight your adoption community is, but hopefully you know that every single thing you've written about here is normal and part of the process, including the parent attachment part. Maybe some day we can talk - fb maybe? There are so many things I have not blogged about. And I read through a bunch of your posts last night, to get to know you:), and all I kept thinking was 'wow, these guys are gutsy.'
It will get easier, I promise. It will take you to levels of emotion you didn't know you had, but it will get easier.
oh, also, it's me over at give all to love. I'm never sure how I'm posting comments, as my blog or through google or whatever.
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing, Dakota. Sometimes when I *know* that a situation (a transition, a phase, a move) will be difficult, I feel like I should get to skip over the actual experience of the situation. I tell myself, "Well, you knew this would be difficult and here it is, being difficult. Get over it." And then I feel worse for feeling bad, because I knew it was coming and, moreover, that it is part of the Process that I should be more conscious of (and grateful for). And then I get so twisted around and knotted up from listening to this crazy radio station in my head that I can't hear anything else and someone (therapist, friend, sister, husband) has to come over and turn the switch off for me. This is all instead of actually just moving *through* it--noticing, reflecting, feeling along the way. I see you and your family moving through--and living into--this space and I feel so lucky to have your example as you notice, reflect, and feel. Thank you. Love.
ReplyDeleteTegan -Yes, thank you for the "thematic inspiration." I hope you that you don't feel like this post was a reaction to the conversation you and Brent had; it wasn't. That conversation was just the final hit upside the head to let me know that my gut was right and that I needed to stop being so sunshiny on this blog.
ReplyDeleteThank you for that little head knock. Thanks too for the support and advice. I choked up a bit the first time I read it just from the understanding that, despite the fact that you are all the way out in Iowa, you've got our backs. We just have to remember to let you know things are rough.
Rebekah - Yes, I recognized you from Give All to Love. I loved your marker of how things were going for your family. Brent actually has said the exact same thing to me on a couple of occasions. Like a lot of adoptive parents, we tried to do a lot of research before we decided to give it a shot and read a lot of stories from parents in the trenches. We knew shit on the walls was a possibility and are truly thankful that we're not there either.
I would love to chat on FB sometime. I'll try and friend you. Our adoption community is almost all cyber in nature. Apparently our therapist has a support group that she is going to hook us up with for adoptive/foster parents and I'm hoping that can be a better face-to-face connection for us. And, yes, we know everything we're going through is pretty par for the course, but it doesn't seem to diminish the weight of the struggle too much. With that said, thanks for saying it again. It does give me a lot of hope to see other families that were struggling really hard a year or two ago and have now seemed to find a bit of a groove. Everyone Else
That Has Commented So Far - Thank you for your empathy and support! It truly fills me up.
When the hell did my little sister become so wise?
ReplyDeleteShe has always been smart, it just takes you awhile to understand things...lol.
ReplyDeleteNah, you understand things, it just takes a nudge sometimes. She hit the nail right on the head. Even though there is a two hour time difference, I wish you two would call when your melting after they melt. Most of the time all it takes is just talking it through.
I still wish there was someone that could relieve you of all responsibilty once in awhile. You know....a babysitter. Just being able to be Brent & Dakota instead of Ashagre & Elsa's parents once in awhile, helps tremendously. Seriously, find someone! That's an order!
I love you both and want the best for you. No, I don't know what it's like to adopt two children from a foreign country who speak no english and are thrown into a new and VERY different life, but we all are trying to help you the best that we can. Use your resources. Don't think you have to have them in everything. I never had the opportunities that children have today and I turned out o.k. Ok, stop laughing now! hehe
Just remember I'm here for you if you ever need me. I won't bite you if you call after 9pm central time.
As always, thank you for this post.
ReplyDelete1) Looking over this post again, I'm struck by the words in blue: Motherhood, Thoughts on Adoption. I can only imagine you having to pick labels for this post with all it's overlapping complexities. Bravo for taking it on, Dakota. I'm hoping the words flowed out from you like a torrent and you didn't have to look back. This is the kind of stuff that makes you quake until you can let it go out of you and into the world. It inspires me to see people take leaps like this with words, trusting that the truth is always okay. You inspire me.
ReplyDelete2) Blogs are really messy baby books. Records of our merging. I think the rainbows and unicorns are important for celebrating what makes all the mess worth it. Reminding us that our new lives as parents are worth it. Reminding our kids that they are so totally worth it.
They are also a bit like turning on the lights of our houses on moonless nights and drawing back the curtains. Strangers stand outside to get a glimpse of what another life might look like. I'm one of those strangers, slackjawed at the path you and Brent have taken to parenthood. I know that the story is not really about the adopters, it's about the adoptees, but seriously, I'm blown away by the leap you've both made and the commitments you are making every day. It inspires me to take similar leaps of my own knowing the pain is worth it.
3) Some things are hard won.
4) I wish for you the ability to let go of any worries of what you say or don't say to strangers. Let that one go. Have a pat answer, make peace with it, say it, and don't give it a second thought. Even if you talked with most people for an hour or two over a bottle of wine they wouldn't get it. Send them to other sources where they can find the thunderstorms for themselves if they are really interested. You have bigger fish to fry and other people to take care of.
5) While I'm being bossy, let me tell you that I think coming up with a plan is a great idea. It doesn't have to be a perfect plan. It just has to help you make movement on this sentence: "one of your children is falling apart right in front of your eyes and your intuition tells you that you are doing nothing to help them, that, instead, you think you might be making it worse."
Find a way to work on this. One step. If you want a sounding board for what this might look like, feel free to contact me any ole' time: morganhanna@gmail.com
6) Does it make you feel any better to know what you describe is textbook adoption stuff? I'm serious. You could have cut and pasted from someone else's blog or from our adoption pamphlets. What she is going through is so universally normal and what you are going through is so universally normal. But you already knew that, and it doesn't make you feel any better, huh? It was worth a shot.
Love to your family, Morgan
Hi Dakota, Thank you so much for this post. Bryan and I have yet to receive our referrals, but we want to be as open as we can be and as prepared as possible for all types of wild rainbow, fart and thunderstorm combinations. You're brave. And you're a great power of example, plowing through the messy middle with honesty. And I know I'll need powers of example. Your blog is a real act of generosity and it has been helping Bryan and me in so many ways. Thanks so much. Sending all kinds of support and good thoughts to you, Brent, the kids and the puppies.
ReplyDeleteclose your eyes and farts smell the same - rainbow ones or otherwise. I appreciate your honesty in this blog and even more so i appreciate that you still maintained some anonymity for your kids. This is a public blog and the world isn't entitled to see the dirt in our most deepest and sensitive of relationships -- between mom and adoptive kid. They may think it is all sunshine and rainbows, but that doesn't mean you are required to always let people know the truth. Some things are meant to be sacred (or kept within a small circle of supportive friends.) I just started reading your blog and there I go on my own soapbox . . .
ReplyDeleteHow am I just getting to your blog today?!?! (fasting fb for lent, i'm guessing has something to do with it). I'll try and catch up and see how you're doing these days. but reading this- I think you hit the nail on the head. And family- the reason we don't call in the 'aftermath' is because we are still processing, cleaning up and literally have ZERO left to offer another human being. (at least that is my experience) Even conversation is too hard.
ReplyDelete