There is a huge part of me that feels like such a hypocrite maintaining this blog - this smiles and sunshine view into our lives, post adoption. The reality is the smiles and sunshine are definitely a part of our lives (there is no way I could coax unwilling kids into smiling in all those pictures and we do live in southern California, after all). But there is a cloudier part too. Creating a new family through adoption, particularly with children that have already experienced so much pain in their lives and have already formed some of their own views on how this big old world works is hard. It's really tough. Tougher than Brent or I imagined, even though we tried really hard to imagine the worst-case scenarios before we made the decision to adopt and even though we are nowhere near those worst-case scenarios now.
There were times over the past few months that I truly believed the whole precarious system we had orchestrated to keep our family cruising down the road of school and careers and after school activities might just crumble around us. We were making these external responsibilities happen, but internally, both individually, and as a family, we were suffering. Personally, I felt trapped. I knew we couldn't continue this way, but I didn't know how to fix it. I went to talk to my doctor about depression. She told me that I couldn't keep on without carving out some time to take care of myself. I knew she was right.
Meanwhile, that energy we threw out into the world in September was slowly materializing. Finally, it has manifested itself in a new direction for our family. A new direction that should be more flexible, less exhausting, and more resilient. This weekend has really been no different than the past few, but it has felt so much lighter. It's been so enjoyable to just let it unfold from classmates' birthday parties to bike riding in the street to morning snuggles and giggles to the kids' first rainbow spotting and even onto a few quiet moments for Brent and I just to breathe it all in and realize that all is good.
| Soaking up the warmth of Mommy and Daddy's bed on a crisp Sunday morning. |
So what's the scoop? How did it all unfold? First, I'll just say that things really won't be changing all that much, not at all like some of the big changes we were considering a month ago. And that feels good. Sometimes you have to almost decide to leave a place to truly understand much you love it and how connected you've become to it. We're not leaving Ventura and I feel so very peaceful about that.
In August the kids started school and, last minute, Brent and I created this grand scheme to make our lives work. On the surface it worked just fine, but in reality, it started wearing us down as soon as we unrolled it. So in late August when I just happened to notice a job announcement for a position very similar to the one I have now, but with the Federal government in Sacramento, I applied. I scored high in the pre-screening test and kicked a@% in my phone interview. We drove to Sacramento and spent an amazing weekend with our friends, Ashley and Even, imagining our new lives many miles north of Ventura. The cost of living in Sacramento is much lower. There seemed to be the possibility that we might be able to exist on my salary alone. We started daydreaming about buying one of the many foreclosed houses in Sacramento and Brent spending his days fixing it up. I imagined my kids going to a school where many more kids had shades of beautiful brown skin just like theirs. I did quite fine in the in-person interview. I got the job.
In a parallel world, a lunch meeting that had been scheduled, canceled, and rescheduled many times over finally came about. I sat down with a colleague that has much more experience in the crazy world of water in Ventura County and picked her brain. She immediately sensed my searching for something different. She suggested I consider a new position that had just opened up in her office. A few days later she emailed me to tell me not to accept any offers from Sacramento until her firm had had a chance to talk to me.
I got an offer for the Sacramento job, but the salary came in lower than I had expected. I negotiated with them, but didn't get as far as I had hoped. I interviewed with the local firm. They made me a solid offer. I turned down the job in Sacramento and relished in the view of the waves passing rhythmically under the pier as I drove from work to pick up the kids at their truly one-of-a-kind school. I breathed in the ocean-cleansed air and took an extra minute or two to enjoy connecting with our neighbors. I celebrated the fact that we will be staying in Ventura.
Then it was time for Brent to rearrange his side of the puzzle. You see, at this new job I will no longer be waking up at 4:30 a.m. to start work at 6:00 a.m. so I can pick the kids up from school at 3:00 p.m. Brent worked with his company. They heard his suggestions and respected his choice to put his family first. He is currently working with them to restructure things so he can wrap up his days at 2:30 (minus a few phone calls or afternoon emails) and be back in Ventura to pick up the kids from school by 3:00. He will not have to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to do this, so all of us will be keeping more traditional family hours.
I start my new job at the end of the month. The kids will no longer go to the babysitter's house for 45 minutes in the morning before school. I'll drop them off instead. I will no longer work an eight hour day prior to trying to be a caring, patient, and nurturing (and tired) mommy from 3:00 until bed time. The precarious balance we had been working so hard to maintain should no longer be so fragile.
On top of all this, we have located what seems to be a great therapist with many years of experience in attachment after adoption. Brent and I are excited to start gaining some new parenting tools. We're hopeful that therapy will help our most attachment-challenged kiddo make some emotional and developmental gains. I'm excited to learn how to better support and nurture both of my kiddos. As November gets into full swing it seems we are no longer stuck and there just might be plenty to be thankful for.
YES!
ReplyDeleteAlso, this:
http://www.karenmaezenmiller.com/momma-time
And love to you and yours. It has been just about a year since I met you and Brent and when I think about how much this year has changed and challenged me, imagining the changes and challenges in (and around) you takes my breath away.
I am soooooo happy for you guys! I didn't think you wanted to move to Sacremento anyway. You wouldn't be near the ocean! I'm glad things will be easier for you too.
ReplyDeleteGood for you guys! Adoption and parenting in general requires a constant series of fine-tunings....and you can never ever figure it all out beforehand. Thinking of you all...
ReplyDeleteJennifer - Your intuition on what's going on in our family and in my head and what just might make it a little bit easier are uncanny. I am SO thankful that our paths crossed in Ethiopia and that we continue to connect (even if only via the internet) now that we've all came back changed and challenged. Thank you for the link.
ReplyDeleteSusan PD - I am also very thankful to have connected with you nearly one year ago in Addis. It's funny, just the other day I was thinking, "I wonder if Susan faced some of these challenges and I wonder how she handled them." It is so reassuring to know that there are people out there that have traveled a little further down this road than we have.
I know Brett only from him working on our house up in SB, but read every entry you write. I am so happy for all of you that you are taking the time now to make things smoother for each of you because the kids will grow up before you know it and the work you do now will surely pay off.
ReplyDeleteWork is work, it's not what we live for so I am excited for your family that you are figuring out how to make the family part work first. Good luck with the changes and give them time to take hold. Having some outside help is fantastic!
Very happy to hear that you've found some form of relief. We have been very fortunate that we have not had to deal with attachment issues (except for when we were fostering). The advantage of adding a younger child to the family.
ReplyDeleteAs you more than know, everyone needs a break from parenting. Dakota needs Dakota time (as I'm sure Brent needs Brent time). In addition, you both need time together. To that means, are there friends or members of your adoptive group that would be willing to sponser play dates for the kids? Basically rotate from house to house (yes, you'll get your turn) taking each others kiddos to give the other couples in the group a "date night".
It's strange how just the smallest break can make us realize how precariously everything had been balanced. I'm glad you've found some good solutions for your family.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have a ton going on and big changes coming. Being in limbo is a hard feeling for anyone, but it sounds like you have a healthy grip on things. I know that it will all work out for the best. It always does.
ReplyDeleteDadS - Unfortunately our adoptive group is online and the other adoptive parents we are close with live in different states. We are slowly building a stronger group of friends that are also parents and have swapped kids a few times, but usually in emergencies - not so we can enjoy ourselves.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new job and being able to reorganize life. It's a constant balancing act as children settle in and go through different stages of development and attachment, which I don't think is a linear path. Hope you get a good patch of smooth sailing now!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about what to blog and what not to blog. On one hand if you ignore the hard stuff then your blog could become some sort of phoney baloney. On the other hand, it's so difficult to blog about the hard stuff without sharing too much. I was recently called out on my blog for sharing too much about Dew Drop- the ironic thing was that I hadn't really shared that much except to say that it was a hard situation. I'd totally edited all of the nitty gritty stuff. Anyway, the person who called me out seems to have problems of her own and I was sort of just caught in the middle, but it was a very very strange experience. I almost quit my blog because of the weirdness- except that it's fun to blog and I love my blogging community and have no idea how I'd continue to learn and grow without it. :)
ReplyDelete