"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Day At The Salon

Ashagre volunteered to go first to get his dreads tightened.


Both Ashagre and Tina were equally enthralled with Lady and the Tramp.

Seriously? Isn't he handsome?

Next it was Elsa's turn. She crawled a top three phone books to get her first EVER braids put in. All her life she has watched the big girls get their hair braided at the orphanage while her hair was kept in a nice, easy-care buzz cut. She once told me that on hair-cutting day she would line up with the other little girls. When it was her turn, one caretaker would hold her in a big bear hug to keep her still while her hair was shaved off with a pair of clippers. Today was a special day; it was as if her time had finally come. She was big and important enough to have her hair braided.

Just getting started, grinning from ear to ear.

Even though I did it yesterday, the comb out really hurt.
I took this picture to try and distract her, but full blown
tears came anyway. She was determined though, so we cooled
off in the bathroom and she headed back out for the braiding.

Red-eyed and apprehensively brave.

The braiding hurt a little too, but just for short periods
of time so she stuck it out. I may have to look for a
different braider. What I really need to do is learn to
do it myself.

So adorable in the end. The whole neighborhood came
out to compliment her when we got home. I'm sure her
friends at school will love it tomorrow. Can't you see
the pride in her eyes?



We finished off the day with a huge injera-filled feast in Little Ethiopia. We then swung by the Merkato Market to poke around and look for a big dread hat for Ashagre. The girl who works there, and always remembers Elsa, promised me she will give me the number of someone in Little Ethiopia that will braid her hair for half the price. Maybe she'll be a bit gentler too.


He wants to grow his dreads as long as Michael Franti
and tuck them up under his hat like his favorite musician.

5 comments:

  1. So beautiful! So proud of E for showing how it felt and then sticking through to the end! My (5 y-o) niece was just telling me that she wants to grow her hair out so that she can have lots of little braids that hang down her back. Possibly also with beads. E is living the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please know that I read every post. I send positive thoughts out into the universe when I read about the tough stuff, and rejoice when you share your family's little triumphs.... This may be one of my favorite posts, though. Ashagre looks stunning. And proud. And confident. And E is so, so brave. To cry. To allow you to comfort her. To get back up in the chair. And the end result is just beautiful. And she knows it! Obsessing a bit over A's hat! I want one for Taki. Have been looking, but have not seen anything as perfect as A's. Can I send u a check for the next time u r in the Mercato????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel - Thanks. It really does mean a lot that you and others are out there rooting for us. Yes, I would be happy to pick up a hat for Taki. Ashagre's was $12.99. The one he got came in a few different colors - forest green, greyish blue, maybe a brown. There are also lots of other styles, many of which are predominately red, yellow, and green. Let me know what you have in mind and I'll do my best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi found your blog while researching Ethiopian adoption. I wanted to say that a style that might garner less tears for little E are two strand twists and they're pretty easy to do. You can also do her hair without the blowout, while it's a little damp for less tears.
    Here is a good video for it:
    http://youtu.be/dBQlEA0CqOI

    I would also recommend the following sites for her hair:
    http://bglhonline.com/
    http://www.naturalchica.com/
    http://www.curlynikki.com

    If you have any questions, I'd be willing to answer. May God continue to bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete