"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Sunday, August 21, 2011

First Ever Style - A Success!

This morning Elsa and I sat down for a good two and a half hours and put in her first ever, in her lifetime (and mine too), style in her hair.  We opted for twists since they are supposed to be pretty easy and because her hair is still pretty short so other styles really weren't practical yet.  Elsa was a champ - she read books and handed me supplies with a smile and a great attitude.  Considering how long I asked her to sit and how wiggly she usually is she did a really good job at holding still.  I think she was really excited to have her hair styled - its something she's seen her entire life but never had the chance to have done because her hair has always been kept way too short.

The hardest part was the parting.  I'm really glad that I found this post ahead of time because otherwise my anal tendencies would have been too fixated on creating perfect boxes of hair to twist.  The other issue we had has yet to be resolved - one of the two products in her hair, both of which are loaded with organic ingredients (Kinky Curly Knot Today for detangling the night before and Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme to make the twists hold a little better), are making the rubber bands dissolve.  If anyone has any ideas why that may be the case and what we might be able to do about it, please let me know.

Alright, enough rambling.  Here's the pictures.

Detangled and ready to get started.

The second row.

This is a great picture to illustrate the hair styling skills I am starting out
with (or lack there of).  The ONLY way I style my own hair is the looped
 pony tail (pictured).  Today I have the salty surf hair look that is popular
around these parts, not because I put a bunch of product in it and worked
to make it look that way, but because I was swimming in the ocean
yesterday and haven't yet had a chance to wash my hair. 

Putting in the last part.

The last twist!

I think she likes them!

Back view.

Side view.

All dressed and ready to show off her new style.

I think the twists make her look older.  She rocks the TWA (tiny weeny afro) so well that I don't know if we will be doing twists too often until her hair gets a little longer, but it was fun to give it a shot today.  Now we know we can do it.  Hmm...I wonder what we should try next?

4 comments:

  1. She looks so happy - way to go, Mama!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Fantastic! You did a good job, Dakota. It looks like she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, she's ADORABLE! Well done, Mama! - Claire

    ReplyDelete