Ashagre is now at about 2.5 inches stretched - just a half an inch more before we can start those dreadlocks. A few weeks ago I was getting antsy to dread his hair because comb outs were taking over an hour, but now we're doing them after every bath and they take no time at all. We also started using "detangling ghee" when we have some tough knots and it really seems to work well. I love his chunky 'fro and am curious to see what it becomes as it gets longer. Maybe we won't rush the dreadlocks. Elsa is closer to the 2 inch mark. I don't think I can really start to style her soft curls in anything more than the adorable T.W.A. (tiny weenie afro) she sports now until she grows another 3 inches or so. Both kids are great when I am working on their hair and get excited when it's time to brush it because that means they get to watch something on Netflix (pretty much the only screen time they get these days). I also think they like the way it looks and feels when we're all finished.
| All oiled up and combed out. Love those 'fros! |
| Little miss is ready for bed in her adorable silk sleep cap. A is clearly into whatever he is watching on the computer - I think it was Cat in the Hat again. |
That satin cap is adorable! (The kids are pretty cute too ;-))
ReplyDeleteDakota! You should issue some sort of Cute Advisory before you post these things so that your readers can prepare themselves!
ReplyDeleteThis made me remember that my dad was the one who dealt with my hair (and my sister's) when we were little. His technique included saying "OW!" on our behalf with each brushstroke (LOL). But also reminded me that this kind of regular, ordinary care-taking lasts and lasts...
I found your blog from a link through my blog and I love it! Our son has about 2.5 inches of growth to his hair and we are counting down the days (maybe months :-/ ) before we can put dreadlocks in his hair. I've never seen or heard of another adoptive parent from Ethiopia locking their child's hair- so this was pretty cool to see. I was beginning to wonder if it was so taboo no one else dared to do it.
ReplyDeleteThe blow-dried fro for our son is pretty awesome! At the moment I'm learning how to do his hair when it is curly (it is not easy) and I almost always do something wrong and we end up with a fro! Ah...I'm learning.
Oh, my blog is iamnotthebabysitter.com I should probably mention that.
ReplyDeleteJamie - I love your blog too! I originally found it through a link to your post on breastfeeding your two kiddos. I really liked it then, but then lost the link. I just recently found it again and love how you aren't afraid to speak your mind and do what you feel is right for your family. I especially love your tongue in cheek references to your experience in the nursing room at your church - priceless. Glad we've found each other!
ReplyDeleteDid you know that that you can make money by locking special sections of your blog or site?
ReplyDeleteTo begin you need to open an account on AdWorkMedia and use their Content Locking tool.