"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It Started With An Olive

Ashagre is an adventurous eater.  He will and does try anything.  Tonight at dinner I had some olives on my plate and he wanted to try one.  When he popped it in his mouth recognition quickly washed over his face and a grin spread from ear to ear.  He remembered the first time he tried an olive and happily began telling us about it.

We remembered it too.  Brent and I had bought some green olives for a snack in Ethiopia when we traveled to Sidama to meet Ashagre's relatives.  We opened them up and ate them on the way back to Addis after an intense couple of days down south.  Ashagre was tired, emotionally exhausted, and a wee bit grumpy but still interested in trying new foods.  I don't remember exactly how it happened but an olive ended up floating around in his water bottle and he continued to drink his water, floating olive and all, until he fell asleep in our laps in the back of the car.

It is so wonderful to finally have enough shared language to converse with our children.  Ashagre went on for the rest of dinner, completely ignoring his food, recounting our first few days together as a family of three before we picked up Elsa and became a family of four.  He remembered the most minute details of our trip to Sidama together.  I could feel his relief and growing excitement as his impressions and memories poured out of him.  

Now don't get me wrong, we're not having deep, emotionally packed conversations here - we didn't touch the visit with his relatives at all - the kids' English isn't quite there yet.  At this point its more like nostalgic stories of times past.  But the fact that we have a past together, a past that took place a little over three months ago when all four of us took the biggest leap of our lives to date, and that we can sit around the dinner table and talk and laugh about it feels pretty dang good.

I am LOVING my family these days.


I can't get enough of my loving little boy from Sidama.

2 comments:

  1. Just read your FB post about FB posts and am laughing! I love seeing your kids grow and I love the way you write. I so appreciate your honesty and your wonder and your PRESENTNESS, which isn't really a word, I know... I like reading your blog because of the updates on the kids, but also because it reminds me to find those things in my own life here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I can't get enough of my loving little boy from Sidama, too!! I've even used your line, "You can take the boy out of Sidama, but you can't....," more than a few times these past few months.... Grinning ear to ear reading that you are sitting around the dinner table talking about a "shared past" after only three months! That is something special, my friend.... And, can I just say how different Ashagre looks?!?! So happy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete