"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dread Natty Dread



Love 'em, but not necessarily the process. Actually, there is only one part of the process I find challenging - very challenging. We are not allowed to wash Ashagre's hair for long stretches of time. After the locs were first installed we had to wait four weeks until we returned to the salon to have his hair washed. When it was finally washed, it had to be done twice since the water coming off his head had a brownish-tint the first time. This time around we are supposed to wait 6 weeks to wash his hair. Why no washing? Because right now, before the dreadlocks are fully locked up on themselves, washing his hair will return it to its normal coil pattern, erasing all the tiny little twists we are babying so they can eventually knot up on themselves to become bonafide dreadlocks.

Not washing a 6 year old boy's hair is really challenging proposition for a momma, even a momma that does not subscribe to the shower a day routine herself. Especially when said 6 year old boy lives on the beach (remember, don't get sand in your hair), lives in a climate where we'll still be swimming for a few more weeks (don't forget your swim hat), loves to jump on the trampoline that just happens to be positioned under the plum tree (hey bubbs come here, what have you got in your hair?), and, this is the best one, can't eat a single meal without touching his hair right at the point his hands are the goopiest. I've learned just not to think about it anymore because the locs are worth it - especially to him.

Ashagre has been asking for dreadlocks since he first came home. I'm not sure where he first saw them, but every time we saw a picture of a boy with locs he would point and excitedly ask, "Mommy mine hair? Dreadlocks?" We were specifically working to grow his hair out to the minimum three inch mark for the first six months he was home so we could have them put it. When it was finally long enough (actually longer), I drove him down to Rehab Salon in Hollywood to have them installed. Yes, I probably could have put them in myself, but I figured since they would be permanent (unless, of course, we cut his hair) I wanted them done right. I wanted them roughly equally sized and nicely distributed all over his head. I was more than happy with my decision.

The before photo. The last momma-created 'fro. I'm
going to miss combing out his hair, but relish in the
extra time we have on evenings and weekends. 
All twisted up. Finishing his movie while his hair dries.
My heart melts.
The twists: day one. They'll get thicker as they loc up.

Besides a gorgeous head full of twists, the unexpected bonus we got at Rehab was a chance for my kids, for the first time in their lives since they moved to America, to be completely surrounded with people with all shades of beautiful brown skin just like their own all morning long. Each time we have spent a morning in Rehab I have been the only white person in the salon - the entire morning. The kids definitely notice, and they love being doted upon by all the other patrons in the salon. I love it too. Everyone is so warm and embraces our family completely during our mornings at the salon, and I love the fact that all three of us get a genuine taste of black culture in America. I guess I should have expected it, but I never really considered that a trip to the salon can be an affair occupying an entire morning. Like us, the other patrons of the salon are investing in styles that they hope will last a while and those styles take time to put in. People hang out. They talk politics. They go grab lunch in between a wash and a style. They gossip. They talk race. They catch up on their reading while sitting under the drier. They make a morning of it.

Ashagre gets compliments on his hair daily. He loves his locs because he no longer has to wait for mom or dad to massage hair lotion into his hair before he can bolt out the door to the next adventure. He also doesn't have to sit through hour+ comb out sessions with mommy (although I think he actually misses these a bit for the "TV" he got to watch).

The dreads are holding up really nicely. In between visits to Rehab I re-twist them from time to time, adding a bit of styling creme for hold and to freshen up the scent of his head. They definitely started looking pretty unkept a week or so prior to our most recent tightening, as the hair nearest his scalp really started to loosen, but I still think they're worth it. Once they are truly loced, we'll be able to wash them regularly. Care will be simple - a little coconut oil massaged into the scalp and re-tightening as needed.

So here's the basics in case you're considering locs:
  • When can I have them put in? The hair should be at least 3 inches long when pulled straight (longer is better). You'll lose at least 1/3 of that length when the hair is twisted up.
  • How do I find someone to install them? I googled dreadlocks Los Angeles. You can also try looking for a salon specializing in natural hair, twists, or maybe even braids.
  • How much does it cost? I have seen a range from $50-130. Unfortunately, Hollywood falls on the high end of this spectrum.
  • Are they permanent? Not at first, so you can always give the twists a try and see how you like it. If you decide you don't like them, just wash the hair and moisturize really good and it should return to its normal coil pattern.
  • How do people react to dreadlocks? We have had nothing but compliments. I do get nervous when we need to re-tighten them and he's looking pretty nappy, but people still seem to think he looks cute or at least don't say anything. 
  • How do I care for them? Once they are installed, wash as needed (tea tree oil shampoo works really well) and add oil as needed to keep the hair and scalp moisturized. Coconut oil works well.  They will need to be tightened up as the roots grow out. This can be done at a salon or you can learn to do it yourself. Many people do it themselves with a crochet hook-like tool. Check out You Tube for video tutorials. While they are still getting established, sleep in a sleep cap and make sure to wear a swim cap while swimming/showering.

Note that there are several different ways to install dreadlocks. Ashagre just has twists that were put into wet hair with lots of gel and dried. Sometimes wax is added and sometimes the hair is knotted or backcombed to get the dreads to begin forming. I think the best method is dependent upon the individual's hair type and the person installing them. Ashagre has quite densely coiled hair and the twisting method seems to be working really well. I like that no wax or damaging backcombing is being used.

So that's it - probably more than you ever wanted to know about our dreadlock experience. We'll keep you updated. For now, here's a pic of the little man after his first tightening on Saturday. It is hard to tell from these pictures, but he has probably added a 1/2 inch in length and his locs are already getting thicker.

Day 3 after the 1st retightening 4 weeks after installation.
I think the locs make him look quite a bit older.


Children get your culture...

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Dakota, this is just so good! I love that A wanted this, that you made it happen, that you've created/found a community of love and support. Just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does look older, and oh so handsome! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Ashagre I think he looks really cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that that you can make money by locking special pages of your blog or website?
    To begin you need to join AdscendMedia and add their Content Locking tool.

    ReplyDelete