Our Perfect Space has been a little less perfect and a little more crazy that I would have liked it to be these past few weeks. From swim lessons to doctor's appointments to trips to the beach to play dates to BBQs to school field trips and beyond we've been going, going, going. It's starting to take its toll on all of us.
Some things I am learning to let go of. Like the fact that our house was, in no way, cleaned properly for our long awaited out of town guests last night (sorry Marty!). It just wasn't going to happen and it didn't. Like the fact that the time between the kids' baths has stretched a bit from the original every other day routine - they get cleaned off in a pool, right?
Some of the things we can't let slide so easily though. Like the fact that one of our kiddos isn't holding up so well, is showing regressive behaviors that we hadn't seen in a while, is telling us in pretty much any way they can think of (besides a major, hours long meltdown - but I'm sure that's coming) that we need to slow down and work on the basics again. Sometimes all the fun you can pack into a summer isn't all that fun for everyone after all, especially when they're still working on a huge transition and some pretty big thoughts and feelings about it all.
One more swim lesson tonight and a necessary meet 'n greet playdate with Ashagre's potential new babysitter tomorrow and that's it. I'm officially not making any plans for a little while. I'm going to intentionally focus on the little things - smiling often, warm eye contact, lots of hugs and snuggles, a soft and loving voice, praise and appreciation, and as much patience as I can muster.
Keeping a space Perfect isn't always easy.
This blog was created to chronicle our journey towards parenthood through Ethiopian adoption. Now that our kids are home it serves as a space to explore and record life as a family of four. If you feel compelled, read along as we work to create the Perfect Space for our family.
"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."
- The Avett Brothers
One of the lessons that's taken the longest to sink into my thick skull is that all the things that are supposed to be fun for children are often too much for my son. Yep, he has fun at the play center, the parties, the zoo, the special outings ... but then melts down spectacularly the next day. So I'm working on organizing less official, structured fun and having more relaxed, hanging out together at home fun. But it's hard to let go of, hard to say no to events that are supposed to be fun, and very hard to deal with other parents thinking you are a mean old wet blanket.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear we are not the only ones Dakota! Have had some incredible meltdowns the past few days with Alex in particular. Exhausting. Speaking of over-scheduling, are you all planning to come to Sandpoint in August? :)
ReplyDeleteTake care!
-Kimberly