A few days ago, a friend linked to Karen Maezen Miller's Parent's Little List of Trust in her comments on one of my posts. I have since been reading it daily (Thank you Jennifer). Right now this one phrase really seems to hit home:
Trust that when you can't handle it for one more minute, you can handle it for one more minute.
It's sort of become a mantra for me over the past few days.
This evening, not long after I wrote the Rest for the Weary post, Elsa vomited all over the back of the car totally unexpectedly. Minutes after I pulled up in front of the house and summoned Brent for help, one of our neighbors pulled up in her car and stopped. She is one of the few neighbors on our block that we don't know. She rolled down her window and asked where the kids were from. She introduced herself.
It turns out she's from Ethiopia - Sidama, in fact. She spoke both Sidamenga and Amharic with Ashagre. He was giddy with surprise and excitement and answered her questions bashfully in English. She doesn't claim Ventura as home, but has been living here a while and thinks she'll be here a while longer. She's working on opening an Ethiopian restaurant in Ventura. She is ecstatic to get to know our family better.
And so another gem from the Little List proves timely:
Trust accidents and coincidences; trust imperfection and the unforeseen.
This blog was created to chronicle our journey towards parenthood through Ethiopian adoption. Now that our kids are home it serves as a space to explore and record life as a family of four. If you feel compelled, read along as we work to create the Perfect Space for our family.
"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."
- The Avett Brothers
It's funny how little mantras get you through the day, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteI love your last two posts. Thank you! Bryan and I are sending lots of good thoughts to you and your family.
ReplyDelete