"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Firsts

One of the most rewarding aspects of parenting Ashagre and Elsa right now is experiencing so many firsts with them:

The first night in their new bedroom and their first time
celebrating the Packer's Superbowl victory (they've got
a Midwestern Daddy you know).

Their first burritos.  Welcome to California, where, someday,
your Mommy and Daddy will figure out that you can
probably split a 5 pound burrito rather than have one each.
Jet-lag might have taken a bit away from Ashagre's first burrito experience.


The first time helping Mommy and Daddy with chores in the backyard.  Raking up fallen oranges from under the tree.
Cleaning out the chicken coop.
Relaxing with Daddy in the hammock after a job well done.

And my absolute favorite - their first day at the beach.  We didn't bring the camera because it was a bit of a spontaneous trip.  We had decided to venture out from the house and took them to a nearby park to play on the playground.  It went so well and they were having such a good time that we thought it might be fun to cruise down to the point and watch the surfers too.  Ashagre immediately headed for the beach.  Once we were there, both kids cuddled up with Daddy and just soaked it all in.  You could see the awe on their faces.  After a while, Ashagre became convinced that it might be fun to take his chamas off and feel the water.  We rolled up his pant legs and, and soon enough, he was running from the waves as they came in.  A little while later he was wading up to his knees constantly giggling.  He would kick the water and run in and out of the waves as they rolled in.  First his jeans were soaked and then his t-shirt began to get wet.  Inevitably, he slipped and fell in.  It definitely shocked him and he cried momentarily until Daddy offered him his dry shirt.  The chance to wear Daddy's huge (slightly stinky) shirt was the perfect end to a good visit at the beach, and he went home with a huge smile on his face.

Elsa was a bit more timid about the water, but she did take off her chamas and would let Brent carry her as he waded out into the water, laughing pretty hysterically when he would dip her feet in.

As I watched them play and enjoy the ocean, visions of our future lives together as a family played out in my mind.  It is so amazing to finally have the kids HOME.

1 comment:

  1. Experiencing all those firsts is the best! Yohanis is looking at all the pictures with me, he was excited to see Ashagre. I think he misses him :)

    ReplyDelete