"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Sunday, January 23, 2011

And We're Off

When I woke up this morning I had a good quiet (well as quiet as things can be with Lola) snuggle with the dogs on the couch.  It's been many years that Buster (Bubbles, as he likes to be called, seriously, he's one tough pitbull) and Lola have been the only other beings dependent upon Brent and me for their health and well-being.  It felt good to just rhythmically rub Buster's head and be in the moment.  The moment - like so many I've had before - of slowing waking up on a cold morning snuggling with my dogs. 

A classic snuggle session including one of my favorite foster pups, Louie.

Is this moment now fleeting?  I wonder what new moments await us...

We'll be cruising down to L.A. in a couple of hours to catch a flight to Dubai.  We'll do our best to catch some of the Packers game in the airport (Brent did grow up in Wisconsin after all) before we step on the plane for a 16 hour journey to the United Arab Emirates.  We'll spend the night in Dubai followed by a 4 hour flight to Addis Ababa where Ashagre and Elsa are waiting for us.

We'll do our best to post updates about our trip on this blog.  The kids will be with us as soon as we arrive (at least that's how we expect things to happen) and we're not really allowed to take them out and about around Addis, so it may be harder to get time on the internet.  My goal is to post at least one picture of all four of us together.  I'll see if I can pull it off.

2 comments:

  1. Safe travels. Love you all bunches.
    Mom and Pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been thinking about you all day. Extremely excited to read your updates. Travel safely and we will see you when you get home.

    Dad and Brenda

    ReplyDelete