"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Monday, January 31, 2011

A Family of Four

I know, I said I would try to get a picture up of the four of us...I don't know if I can promise that will happen.  We aren't allowed to take the kids many places and the internet cafe with a SD card reader is on the no travel list.  We'll see if one of us can sneak away sometime.

BUT...we are a family of four!  We picked up Elsa yesterday.  Her and Ashagre are doing great.  Ashagre has been a wonderful "big" little brother since the moment she intruded on his only-child status.  He has been very helpful and cooperative and the meltdowns we experienced a few days ago are getting shorter and less frequent.  I think the kid is processing A LOT and is doing a pretty good job tackling it all.  Elsa is as sweet as can be, pretty independent and a little bit bossy.  She also was excited to put on her new clothes, although all the pants I brought are easily a size or two too big.  She's a tiny little thing.  Luckly one pair of shorts has those tabs on the inside so we can cinch them up and they pretty much stay up as long as she doesn't run too fast.

The visit to Elsa's orphanage to pick her up was very enlightening and tough.  We learned more about her past and even were able to take a few pictures of some baby photos they had of her (they wouldn't give them to us).  One of her house-moms cried pretty uncontrollably when she was saying goodbye.  We took pictures of her by her bed and with the house-moms and some of her friends.  When we were finished Elsa was happy to jump in the car and not look back.

We all slept together last night, and although I couldn't understand him, I am pretty sure Ashagre filled Elsa in on how it worked.  Something about Mommy and Daddy (we're starting to hear those words from him from time to time) and dogs (wousha) going woof woof.  That pretty much sums it up.  "We sleep between Mommy and Daddy and the dogs bark all night - you'll love it."

Brent and I really didn't sleep at all last night as we were pushed to the fringes of the bed and today there really isn't anything on the agenda so we're just hanging out at the guesthouse, playing soccer and velcro ball, reading books, coloring, blowing up balloons, going to the bathroom and washing hands, practicing our letters and numbers with the chalk on the driveway and watching movies.  Yes, its 10:30 AM and we have already done all of these things on top of breakfast and showers (or a face wash and lotion for Ashagre since he and I decided to comprimise this morning).

There is still no word on when we will be going to the embassy and at this point we're pretty much guaranteed to be coming home later than we planned - we're just not sure when that will be.  Brent and I are very ready to get the kids home and start our routine, but we're hanging in there and enjoying the company of our fellow adoptive families.  All the positive vibes you can muster to send to MOWA and the Embassy would be much appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, thank you so much for this fantastic news! I am laughing at Ashagre's low-down on the situation and Elsa running right out of her shorts and the unforgettable sensation of slooowwwwllly being pushed off the bed by a sleeping child (or two). Sending continued good vibes to you four and a stream of clarity, efficiency, organization, and compassion to MOWA and the Embassy. :)

    ReplyDelete