"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Workin' Overtime...and it Pays!

Passing out w/Dolly after another long day.


This post is ode to my hard workin' husband. One of the reasons he doesn't get around to writing anything on this blog is because he is working his butt off to help us raise extra money for the adoption. For the past month or more he has been working a normal 40 hour work week only to pack up his tools from his real job to head off to a side job - both on nights and weekends. Right now, as I type he is across the street at the neighbors hanging some closet doors and putting in some shelving. Once he starts on a project, he usually has a hard time finishing because he does such a good job that the homeowner keeps adding to the list of things they would like done around the house.

Well, its been paying off - he's made over $2,000 extra for the adoption - and last night it paid off big. At his company's summer BBQ, Brent was awarded the title of Allen Associates' 2010 Green Innovator. Apparently, his company hasn't noticed that he's been burning the candle at both ends. They have been really impressed with all of the work he has done to launch a new division within the company - the Home Performance Division (home energy audits and retrofits). For his efforts they gave him a $500 gift card to the Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort. This just happens to be where we went for our honeymoon. I'll be booking a stay for our second wedding anniversary tonight! So, if you happen to see Brenty around, and he looks really tired, congratulate him on his award (he'll perk right up) and let him know that he is already one awesome dad.

Oh, and if you know of anyone that needs some carpentry work done around the house, give us a call. You'll be hiring the services of one talented green builder and helping us bring home some pretty special kiddos :).

5 comments:

  1. Dolly's here to stay, isn't she? And if not, that is one adoptable dog judging by that picture! Congratulations to Brent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Despite the picture, Brent is standing strong. Two laps = two dogs. Dolly actually has an application in right now, so our days with her could be numbered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be real tired ... too tired to call his Dad with the good news. Oh well. Still mighty proud of him. He would have made a good SeaBee. Enjoy your time at the Spa, you two deserve it.

    ps. Des Moines just changed the law regarding "dangerous breeds". Looks like they've come to their senses. Pup's like Dolly now have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I can vouch that he has been pretty dang tired when he is not working (which is always) - I usually don't make excuses for his sporadic contact with family and friends, but here I can definitively claim that he would have loved to share it with you sooner if he had the chance.

    That's awesome news RE pitties in Des Moines. Looks like we'll have to bring the pups out for another visit. But this time we'll remember to take Buster out before he makes himself comfortable in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, Dad. And you might want to feed Trent beforehand, too.

    ReplyDelete