"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Monday, October 22, 2012

Protecting the Ocean in Exchange for Art and Outdoor Ed? Yes, Please!

It's that time of year again. The kids' school is gearing up for their 5th annual Trash-a-Thon, in which every student, kindergarten through 8th grade, will pick up trash in "hot spots" throughout our community. In return, they are asking for support through a monetary donation. Nope, they're not selling Christmas cards that you really didn't like, or popcorn you really didn't need to eat, or magazine subscriptions you won't ever read; they're picking up trash!

You know, Ventura sits adjacent to the great Pacific Ocean, so trashed picked up around town is diverted from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. The proceeds generated support their school's outdoor education and art in and out of the classroom programs. Previous Trash-a-Thons have been a huge success. Last year's event raised over $20,000 for school enrichment programs. Plus, the students worked hard and enjoy participating in the community service project. I'll be honest, I can't exactly remember what Elsa and Ashagre had to say about the event last year, but I suspect they were into it. They are always the first to pick up garbage found on the sidewalk or street when we are cruising around town; they love dolphins and seagulls and want to protect them. 

The school has assigned our family a goal of $150. I would like to double that since we have two kids at the school. The kids love the art and music they currently receive at the school. You should see Ashagre's pastel landscape using a mix of cool and warm colors and Elsa's line turtle. They also LOVE to sing and are fortunate enough to each have a teacher that uses their guitar and different songs as teaching tools throughout the day. Current favorite songs include Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes (Paul Simon), Black Bird (Beatles), We're Going to Be Friends (White Stripes), Home (Edward Sharpe and the Mangnetic Zeros) and a ridiculously annoying song about telling time. I got to volunteer at the first outdoor excursion of the year - the annual campout - and can tell you it was awesome. I helped 400 or so students make salsa, while other centers included African drumming, field games, and raptor demonstrations among others. Soon they will be visiting a working organic farm and there are also trips to the theater on the horizon. 

This is a public (charter) school. The kids are thriving in it, and Brent and I truly feel like our family has won the lottery to have our kids enrolled in it. So what do you say? Let Ashagre and Elsa know that people around the country are rooting for them and their educational journey. Donate today using the Paypal icon found here: Ventura Charter School of Global Arts and Education Trash-a-Thon. Please remember to mention Elsa and Ashagre Safranski when you donate so your donation will be counted toward our goal. Thank you!

A little music to spread the love the kids feel daily at their school:


1 comment: