"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Letter To My Daughter On Her 8th Birthday

Wow! I can’t believe that you are eight years old. I don’t know why, but eight seems so much older than six, the age you were when we first saw your sweet face and eventually brought you into our family. With that said, you are SO eight years old. Your growth the past year and a half has been astounding, and, to be honest, it’s been hard for your momma to keep up with all your changes. You have morphed from an almost toddler-like little girl with so few experiences under your belt that it sometimes felt like the world might swallow you up, to a strong and gregarious girl with a solid sense of who she is and how she thinks the world should work (and a little bit of sass for those that may think it works differently).

Recently we have had the great fortune of connecting with a few people who knew you as a toddler, and it has been so amazing to not only see pictures of you from those years before we called each other family, but to hear from those that knew you, that your sunny personality, unique sense of self, and radiant smile have been cornerstone to your being since you were small. "I remember Elsa as being smiley and bubbly, and energetic," and "Elsa was definitely a unique individual with her own unique personality."

These days, as an eight year old, you have become quite the socialite. Friendships and social happenings are very important to you and you feel slights made by friends deeply. Just the other day, you were SO ANGRY at  little boy in your class when Daddy picked you up at school. You were mad and angry and couldn't let it go; he had called you a name. Finally, daddy got the name out you. "He called me adorable," you declared in your most bruised and offended voice. When Daddy explained what adorable meant, you still wanted to be mad but couldn't help but let your anger soften for your sweet friend. You continue to be ridiculously coordinated and regularly blow people away by your physical strength. This year you learned to swim, have become quite adept at tennis, loved your yoga summer camp, and  would go rollerskating every day if it were possible. You are dying to start gymnastics at the local studio, and I'm certain you'll excel when we get you signed up. You also continue to fill up your soul with music. If there isn't music playing somewhere, you have no problem singing. You've got natural rhythm and harmony and your dad really hopes to help you develop your underlying skills and passion. You are a great sister to your little (taller) brother, and, most days, you two play so well together. Right now make-believe games where you are the mommy and Ashagre is the daddy are your favorite. You also love riding your cars, jumping on the trampoline, and making movies with your camera. You are also developing into a bit of diva and would be oh so happy if your nails were painted daily. Hair day has become quite a bit of fun as your hair has grown, my skills have improved, and you have developed a sense of what you like and don't like. You are always so appreciative when I style your hair and never forget to say, "Thank you mommy for making me look so pretty."

This year our relationship as mother and daughter has grown so much. You have learned what it means to have a family, to be a daughter, and to have a mommy. As you have begun to understand what having a mommy means, you have really begun to open up and let me mother you. I believe that you truly cherish our relationship now, and for that, I could not be more honored. I adore the little "things" the two of us share, like pointing at each other with a bossy face when I first pull into the driveway before both of our faces break into huge smiles and you run to my car to open my door and tell me about your day, or me trying to kiss your eyelids at bedtime while you squirm away and giggle hysterically.

You have also begun to internalize your story and have a very special place in your heart for your Ethiopian Mommy that took care of you when you were a tiny baby. I want you to know that I am not threatened by your love for your Ethiopian Mommy and that it warms my heart to feel your love for her bubble up inside of you just as it warms my heart when you plant a big juicy kiss on my lips and declare I love you mommy! You are very proud that you have two mommies, and I hope that you continue to find strength in knowing you are loved by so many people. 

Happy Birthday Elsa! I can't wait to see what this year will bring. I love you!
Mommy





5 comments: