"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Friday, September 9, 2011

A Breath of Fresh Air

Tonight was one of those nights I couldn't be more thankful to be a mom.

Daddy and the kids playing whiffle ball in the backyard. Fighting off our far-too-bold chickens as we nourished our worn end-of-the-week bodies and souls on grilled barbecue pork chops, steamed broccoli, and stuffing on the back deck under the weakening sun. Flower watering that turned into puddle stomping and prancing and wet chalk creating on the back slab. Music. Dancing. Chasing and running from monsters in the far corners of the yard as the night grew darker. Snuggles and kisses from my girl by the warmth of the fire that Daddy built. Shrieks of delight as we laid out the plans for the weekend. A moment between the boys as they waited in Ashagre's bed for me and Elsa to finish her evening routine.

And, culminating the evening...finally, months after she first announced it was loose in June, the removal of Elsa's bottom tooth with one quick, light tug.  I think she scampered into the bedroom to show Daddy, eyes huge and mouthful of blood, before she even really wrapped her head around what had happened. Her excitement and pride was palpable. Finally that tooth, the tooth that the dentist ordered her to get out over two weeks ago, the tooth that Daddy and Mommy insisted she wiggle for the entirety of every car ride taken had come out. She carefully labeled her envelope, "To Tooth Fairy, From Elsa" and, somewhat apprehensively, stuck it under her pillow while explaining that when she lost her first tooth in Ethiopia it was thrown in the garbage.

No, its not the upper right tooth we're celebrating tonight.
She lost that one sometime last year in Ethiopia.  It's the
bottom right.  The one that had an equally-sized adult tooth
behind it already to fill in the gap.

A night of magic. A night of togetherness. A night of love. A night of Family. A night to remind Mommy and Daddy that nights like these are too few and far between in these parts these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment