"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Friday, September 30, 2011

Cherishing Our Little People

I'm holding my kiddos a little longer and tighter tonight, as our adoptive community tries to digest a horrific tragedy - the sustained abuse of an Ethiopian girl and her brother that eventually led to the girl's death. Horrific.

Fortunately, things can't stay heavy for long here at the Perfect Space on the first Friday night our family has had at home in several weeks. We did it up right. A high class dinner provided by Taco Bell and some sort of PBS program on the computer before bed. Seriously - fast food and screen time - far from our norm, but just what all four of us needed after several long and packed weeks.

Daddy was falling asleep on the couch by 6:30 (I'm telling you we've been going full speed these past few weeks), so when the kids decided they were done playing their Eye Spy game and were ready for some dinner they first had to get Daddy off the couch and out to the car.

Unfortunately, I didn't pick up the camera until they
had already gotten him off the couch and turned around.

Ashagre was the mastermind behind the task and Elsa
was the muscles...and the Daddy-bouncer.

They pulled him, dead-weight across the entire
living room.

When they finally got him across the threshold he gave
in and got up. It probably would have been worth their
shrieks of delight to stick it out a little longer.

The laughter was so loud and so hysterical that the neighbors poked their heads out the door to see what was going on.

Coming up this weekend: the first tightening of Ashagre's dreads (post to follow since I totally dropped the ball on the installation post) and Elsa's first-ever birthday party with a whole lot of house cleaning and some bike purchasing and riding in between. Photos, of course, will be forthcoming.

2 comments:

  1. I went to Hana's vigil a few weeks back with the hope that maybe it was an awful, preventable accident, but knowing in my heart that was unlikely. I too have been holding my kids a little tighter tonight.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard about Hana. Wow...so so so sad.

    On a lighter note: I can't wait to get all your dreadlock updates! I will live vicariously through you guys!

    ReplyDelete