"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Sunday, November 28, 2010

We're Back!

We landed back in the States at 8 AM yesterday.  To say that it was a shocking experience would be an understatement.  Ethiopia and California are two completely different worlds.

From the minute we arrived at Bole International Airport in Addis, I began visualizing our trip home from the perspective of the kids.  How would they wrap their heads around such a monumental journey?  Would they be scared? Overwhelmed? What would they think? What would they be feeling?  By examining my own feelings as we made the transition from Ethiopia back to Ventura, the reality of that same trip for them a few months in the future really struck me.

Brent really nailed a huge difference as we drove back from L.A. to Ventura.  "Where are all the people?" he asked.  He was right.  Los Angeles felt desolate after walking and traveling the people-packed roads of Ethiopia.  In Ethiopia there are people EVERYWHERE, whether you are in the city or the country-side, people line the roads walking, fetching water, herding livestock, chatting, packed in cars and mini-buses, and watching the world go by.  Here we were in Los Angeles, one of the biggest cities in the U.S., and there wasn't a person in sight - except those driving solo with us on the freeway.  Today, more than 24 hours after we've been home, it still feels a bit lonely here.  Luckily Brent invited some people over tonight to see some pictures of our trip.  Hopefully we can make our home feel warm and inviting when we bring the kids home in January.

I promise to post about our entire trip over the next few weeks and provide LOTS of pictures.  Until I get started here are some of the best pictures of all - pictures of Ashagre and Elsa.  Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Love all those pictures. I can't wait to read more about your experiences in Ethiopia. Any news on an embassy date yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charity. As of now, it looks like our embassy date will be January 12th. There is a very slight chance that we may be able to go back for a December 29th embassy appointment, but with the way it sounds like things are going with the embassy right now, I am not counting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your wonderful and rich experiences with us. And I love that you guys are so good at getting pics up so quick! Looking forward to meeting them in person soon, and sending good vibes your way :) - des

    ReplyDelete