"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

You Can Call Me Papa and I'll Call You Momma

It's official!  Today we passed court and are legally Elsa and Ashagre's parents!

So, with no further wait...we would like to introduce...

Our daughter, Elsa Safranski



...and our son, Ashagre Safranski




So when can we bring them home?  As of now, not until mid-January.  We spoke with the adoption coordinator, and it sounds like the earliest we could possibly get an appointment with the American embassy is December 15th.  While we definitely considered it, there is no way that Dakota can stay in Ethiopia that long.  As a result, it now sounds like our embassy appointment will be January 12th.  During the embassy appointment, the children will gain the papers necessary to become U.S. citizens as soon as they land in Los Angeles; until they have those papers we cannot bring them home.  So, around the 12th both of us will fly back to Addis to pick up the kids.

It is going to be a LONG month and a half, but it's also only a month and a half and we certainly have some things to do to prepare before then.

We fly out of Addis on Friday evening and will be back in California on Saturday morning.  We are looking forward to consuming lots of fresh vegetables, but also know that leaving Ethiopia will leave us with a hole in our hearts - this really is an amazing country.

6 comments:

  1. YAY! Congratulations!!!! I have been loving reading all your posts from Ethiopia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray hooray hooray! And congratulations to Elsa and Ashagre on choosing such fantastic parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Didn't actually seem real until we saw the pictures of you with your children. Looking forward to seeing more pictures, perhaps of the entire family (which we understand might not happen until January due to logistics).

    The paperwork and red tape monster will soon be behind you ... I mean except for the readoption and Certificate of Citizenship (should you go that route).

    Will have to schedule a trip out to visit all of you sometime next year, but we'll allow you proper nesting time. Very excited about how close you are to the end. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you or if you have any questions we can answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could do backflips, that is what I'd be doing right now out of happiness and excitement for all four of you. And I think the timing couldn't be better... for the rest of your lives, a celebration of Thanksgiving will be a celebration of kidgetting!

    What happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping you'd be able to bring them home sooner, but a month and a half compared to a lifetime of happiness seems very small. Tell Elsa and Ashagre that we all can't wait to meet them and that we love them very much. (I need an offical family photo. Right now I have Elsa & Ashrege on my living room wall, but it's a copied photo. *hint, hint* lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Papa, Momma!! Then you can call me Grandma and you can call your Pops, Grandpops! Thank-you all so much for for the treasure you share with your Idaho family on this most memorable season of Thanksgiving. Seeing Elsa and Ashagre nestled in your laps with the glow of joy on all of your faces is an experience unsurpassable.
    Much love Mom and Pops

    ReplyDelete