"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Adoption Fatigue?

I stayed home from work today.  I couldn't sleep last night and felt awful this morning.  I was in bed all night, wide awake, with a slight sensation of anxiety.  For whatever reason, I could not stop replaying a scenario in my head in which we could not adopt either Elsa or Asegre (we had to choose) because our agency had failed to realize that the kids would be sharing a room until after we had accepted our referral and now they would not let us proceed as planned.  This is NOT AN ISSUE TO WORRY ABOUT.  I know this.  I knew it last night.  We specifically asked early on in the process, and both AAI and our homestudy agency told us that they were fine with kids in our requested age range sharing a room due to their young age.  Brent and I do not plan on renting this house for too many years beyond this, despite how much we love it, and will move up to a 3 bedroom in our next move.

Regardless, it seems the adoption is starting to stress me out a bit.  (Don't worry - I am keeping my promise - no whining - just processing) I have heard from many people that have adopted before us that this stage, the stage where you know who your children are and are just waiting for everything to fall into place so they can come home, is the hardest.  For some reason I did not think that it would be for me.  I thought the waiting to find out who they were would be the most challenging - I hate not knowing.  I just want to know immediately; waiting doesn't make the information any sweeter to me.  But then again, we didn't really wait to find out who our children were at all.  The day after our homestudy was complete our agency told us about Elsa and we began the journey of learning about her and, shortly after, Asegre.

I guess there must be some sort of subconscious feeling that just leaves you uneasy until they come home.  The "what ifs" creep in at night, even when you feel comfortable with it all during the day, and you can't sleep.  Guess I'll have to just accept that this is a very normal part of the process and somehow figure out how to make sure I can sleep.

I do have to admit that the short timeline we have found ourselves working with has put the pressure on.  I learned late last week that we need to get the kids' Welcome Bags put together and send them to Washington state by September 10th so the director of AAI can take them with her on her next trip to Ethiopia and give them to Elsa and Asegre (and let them know that we are their new family).  This set in motion a frantic series of events, all with the goal of being able to take a picture of the kids' room so they can start to imagine their impending lives in Ventura:
  • Brent had to finish up the chicken coop (which needed to be done anyway as the chickens had grown A LOT) so we could move the chickens out of their kiddie pool in the garage and some of our old furniture out of the kids' room and into the garage.  
  • We bought new twin beds and mattresses from a somewhat creepy guy on Craigslist (the beds have never been used though and we good a really good deal).  
  • I went to IKEA down in L.A. and bought bedding - super cute and inexpensive.
  • We started painting their room on Sunday.  We chose some great, bright colors (torquoise and with a an orange stripe on the bottom- I'm not one for pastel kids rooms), but realized after the fact that the colors we chose are horrible to work with.  We painted all day on Sunday and more last night.  We have put 4 layers of the orange on the walls now and it still doesn't look perfect, but I think we're done because we're out of paint.  I'll see what Brent says when he gets home tonight.  
  • While we were waiting for the paint to dry on Sunday, we gathered photos for their photo books and uploaded them on Snapfish.  
  • Hopefully, we can pull the tape, set up their beds and snap a picture to include in their photo albums for their welcome bags.
In the meantime, we asked our friend Linsey, who is a graphic designer, to design custom t-shirts for the kids.  The t-shirts will be included in the welcome bags and the kids will wear them to announce to their orphanages that they have an adoptive family.  We gave Lins very little time to work with, but nonetheless, she came up with an awesome design!  She even included a photo of Buster and Lola in the design.  The shirts are scheduled to arrive on September 2nd.  Check out the shirt design below.


We also need to write short letters to the kids and find a couple of small toys, but that shouldn't be too hard.

And that's just the welcome bags.  There is so much more we need to do to get ready.  Not to mention, we still need to raise some more money for our plane tickets to Ethiopia - our shorter timeline is definitely going to make that a more of a challenge than we had anticipated.  We had originally thought we would have an extra 6 months or so while waiting for a referral to raise extra money.  I am currently working on a grant application for a grant from an organization that tries to make the up front costs of adoption more reasonable - keep your fingers crossed on that one.

So, yes, there is stress and I must be feeling fatigued.  However, all I have to do is look at the kids' pictures and I know its worth it.  I know that they are our kids and that we are supposed to be together.  I know that it will all come together as it is supposed to - it always does (I just need to repeat this mantra to myself at 3 AM).

(Sorry for the babbling nature of this post - I am still pretty sleep deprived.)

2 comments:

  1. So much to do! I'm really impressed with you two, how quickly and well you're working through everything that needs to get done, and how you're keeping your head on straight. Good luck with finishing up the welcome bags! And include pics of the kids' room when you can. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring back such "fond" memories. There was no welcome bag required in our process, however we were constantly sending clothes and toys. He was too young for pictures. We did send them in an effort to help his foster family prepare for the seperation. They really loved him and we knew they were also going through an emotional rollercoster.

    Sorry, no words of comfort. Get your sleep now, might not be much later. At least not for about 15 years.

    The mind "what ifs" are the awful. I was constantly wondering if the fit was right and what I was committing to at "my age". With an infant you don't have the fear that they'll shy from you when you first meet them, shattering your dreams of the perfect experence. You just pray they don't scream their heads off (which he didn't). I'm sure you've both played and replayed the first trip hundreds of time in your minds.

    We weren't required to make a court trip prior to pick up, however Brenda insisted on going to meet him. I couldn't go (wish I would have, because it turned out that if both parents made a pre-pickup visit then we wouldn't have had to go thought the citizenship process ... long story, call me). In spite of the stress and lack of sleep, by far the worst part of the whole process is when she had to hand him back to his foster parents and head back to Iowa.

    Good news is it is a finite process. And some day you'll look back at it all and speak of the whole experence as a "fond" memory. Let us know if you want to talk. We'll swap horror stories.

    ReplyDelete