This blog was created to chronicle our journey towards parenthood through Ethiopian adoption. Now that our kids are home it serves as a space to explore and record life as a family of four. If you feel compelled, read along as we work to create the Perfect Space for our family.
"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."
- The Avett Brothers
Sunday, January 6, 2013
Melkam Gena!
Tonight we had the pleasure of joining a newish Ethiopian friend for a Gena celebration at her home in Montecito. One other adoptive family that we had never met but lives nearby was also invited. We brought our friend Roman (also Ethiopian) and her daughter, Yenea. The host had invited her two sisters and another Ethiopian woman. Full feast, coffee ceremony and then hour long Ethiopian/African dance party (the host has lived all over Africa). The shoulder shaking was off the hook, as was the hospitality. My heart swelled as a watched my little girl shake it surrounded by a living room full of strong, smart and beautiful Ethiopian women. Powerful stuff for a little habesha girly. So thankful for our new friends and such a warm and fun evening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Looks like 2013 is off to a great start!
ReplyDeleteHow great to have Ethiopian friends around!
ReplyDeleteWow-that's great!
ReplyDeleteit was so much fun!
ReplyDelete