"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Thursday, July 5, 2012

The 4th

This year's 4th was perfect - how can it not be when you live in a beach town in southern California? As usual, the kids were up at 6:30. I got up and made banana pancakes - a family favorite - while Brent packed up the bus. We were ready to head to the beach around 10. We headed out - several hours before any of our friends - to stake out a spot and enjoy the "June Gloom"-ie day. Our little family of four had a great morning at the beach; the kids rolled around in the waves, played in the sand and worked on their gymnastics skills while Brent and I relaxed and enjoyed their antics.

By 2 our friends had rallied, and we cruised up from the beach to the adjacent park for some Jolly Oysters. Cold beer, fresh oysters, and a pack of kids running here and there - yep, pretty perfect. As the day wound down and the gloom rolled back in we packed up to reconvene at our friend's house for a barbecue, more free-roaming kids and a similarly energetic pack of dogs. The night was wrapped up with fireworks - moms chastising dads for setting a bad example as they threw firecrackers at each other's feet while the kids ran around in ecstasy with sparklers in hand. A 4th of July that put me squarely back to the 4th's of my childhood - just perfect.

COLD! But lovin' it.







Elsa tries an oyster.

Uh oh.

Oyster Face! (Needless to say she did NOT like it).

Arlo, on the other hand LOVED them.



Elsa's been begging for a baby sister. Fortunately,
Ollie's mom was willing to loan her out for the afternoon.




2 comments:

  1. That's ok Elsa, Grandma Wendy doesn't like oysters either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post and what lucky kids. Sounds like a terrific 4th.

    ReplyDelete