"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Thursday, June 21, 2012

(Absorbant) Shorts

Tonight at Dinner


Elsa: Mom why you not like the soup?

Mommy: I do like the soup. I just don't LOVE the soup as much as you guys. I don't want to marry it.

Elsa & Ashagre: (hysterical laughter)

Ashagre: Yes mom. You should marry the soup. Why did you marry dad?

Mommy: Because I love him VERY much and I wanted to live with him forever...and I need someone to change my diapers for me when I'm old.

Daddy: They'll be the first diapers I've ever changed.

Elsa & Ashagre: What! No you just joking. You not baby. You no wear diapers! Mommy just joking.

Mommy: Nope, I'm not joking. Sometimes when people get really old they have to wear diapers because they have a hard time getting to the toilet in time. Someone's got to help change them. But you know, boys usually go downhill before girls so I'll probably be changing your daddy's diapers.

Elsa & Ashagre: (more hysterical laughter) No! You just joking! No!

Mommy: OR...you guys can change our diapers. You'll take care of us when we're old and can't make it to the toilet on time right?

Ashagre: No! Diapers are for babies. You not babies. You just joking!

Mommy and Daddy: Nope, we're serious.

Daddy: Or you guys could work really hard in school and get a good job that pays good money and you could hire someone to change our diapers for you.

Ashagre & Elsa: (starting to believe us a little bit) No!

When dinner was finished Elsa and I ran to the pharmacy to pick up some medication. When she got back, besides the M&M's she talked me into getting, she had something to share with her brother. At the pharmacy she saw them - man diapers and lady diapers!

(Hysterical laughter all around).

Yep, things are pretty heavy around here these days. We're really processing the hard stuff right now (like the fact that Elsa and Ashagre might be stuck with us long enough that they have to change our diapers).

The kids have transitioned into their first week of summer camp quite smoothly. We had 2 to 3 rough days, but now they're making friends, learning new games, perfecting their rock climbing skills, building motorized lego cars, and swimming like fish.

Summertime...and the livin' is easy....

4 comments:

  1. *sigh* Ahhhh... Makes me want a pool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my chuckle for the day!! Thanks. Glad you guys are settled in for a lovely summer. Wish you were coming to Wenatchee. Susan PD

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tell our kids that we adopted them so they can get a good education and support us in our old age. That's just what good parents do.

    Thanks for the giggle today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, I had tears in my eyes from laughing.

    ReplyDelete