"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Daddy You're Divine: An Interview with Ashagre & Elsa June 2012

What do you love most about Daddy?
Ashagre: That he plays legos with me.
Elsa: That he tickles me and plays with me.






What is your favorite thing to do with Daddy?
Ashagre: Play in the street on scooters and bikes.
Elsa: Jumping high on the trampoline with Daddy.






What do you do that makes Daddy happy?
Ashagre: Make jokes that make Daddy laugh.
Elsa: Make cards for him.






What does Daddy do that lets you know he loves you?
Ashagre: I love my dad!
Elsa: When he rides bikes with me and my family. I love you!






What do you want other people to know about your daddy?
Ashagre: My dad is a fast runner.
Elsa: My daddy built a chicken coop for the girl chickens at our new house.






What does your daddy do to keep himself happy?
Ashagre: He cooks food for our family.
Elsa: Play with me and Ashagre.




What is your favorite memory of Daddy?
Ashagre: Riding the roller coasters at Legoland with my dad (and Elsa and Mommy).
Elsa: Going skating and mini golfing with Daddy (and Ashagre and Mommy).







Is there anything else you would like to say?
Ashagre: I like my family!
Elsa: I like when my dad pushed us on our cars at the old house.



Brent is an amazing dad. Parenting with him this past year or so has been beyond inspiring. I truly feel like we've grown even closer since we became parents.  Our parenting styles really compliment each other and I know he's always got my back. Parenting is not a one woman show around this house by any sense of the imagination. Brent has cut his hours back at work to spend the afternoons with the kids after school. He drives for fieldtrips, takes them to the library and swim lessons, throws the baseball around with them and helps them perfect their swing. He stays home with them when they're sick. He rides bikes and builds legos and jumps on the trampoline and listens intently as they read to him. He makes sure they never miss a school skate night and isn't afraid to let loose and try his hardest to be the fastest rollerskating dad at their school (he's currently the second fastest, but he's determined).  He keeps things fun and silly, lightening the energy when I get too hung up on getting something done. He's tender and loving and patient. Basically, he's an all around great dad.

Happy Father's Day Brent! We love you!



(Postscript: The idea for this post was borrowed from Rage Against the Minivan, but the thoughts and words are 100% authentic. The kids even picked out the pictures for the post.)

2 comments:

  1. yes, happy father's day! i, too, have loved watching chris become a father. it's breath-taking, really. tell him to keep working on those skating skills. i feel #1 coming on next year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. From these pictures you can tell your kids really lost out in the daddy department. He's obviously very hands off and unavailable to them.

    Happy Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete