"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Sunday, April 15, 2012

I'm Just Going To Take A Minute And Let It Ride

Today we had absolutely nothing on the agenda - a first in many weeks. Today was a day that our family could just be. Here's a little sneak peak of what that looks like.

Our family rhythm:

  • Early morning solo play for the kiddos while Daddy caught up on his sleep and Mommy got a little work done.
  • Amazing breakfast scramble thrown together with what's around by Daddy and, apparently, inspired by his days as a boy scout.


Ashagre and Daddy started working on some repairs to our rental in hopes
 of getting our deposit back when we move out in a month or so.

Want to make Ashagre's day? Send him to fetch
the hammer out of  the back of Daddy's truck.

  • Elsa spent a good hour in the bathtub teaching her Princess Tiana baby how to swim.
  • When she finally got out, she convinced me to style her hair. At her request, we went for parted flat twists in front and "big hair" in back. It was wonderful to have the time to say yes and style her hair without feeling like I had to fit in a styling session before the weekend was over.
  • Family Shrek watching while I worked on Elsa's hair.

Elsa's first-ever Elsa-requested Mommy-delivers style.

My flat twists still can use some work, but she spent
the rest of the day looking in the mirror and putting
lip gloss on anyway.
  • Egg gathering by Ashagre.
  • Legos, lots of legos, and a little pretend injera-making with the toy dishes.
  • A two hour nap on the couch for Daddy.
  • A little blog reading for Mommy.
  • Dinner at a favorite cafe downtown.
  • A little bit of homework. Both kids are currently researching animals for their habitat projects. Elsa is researching the duck and the pond habitat and Ashagre is researching the blue whale and the ocean habitat.
  • More legos and more injera-making.

All tucked in, sound asleep in preparation for yet
another big day tomorrow.

  • Oh yeah, and some escrow paperwork for Mommy and Daddy.
In the words of our favorite Somali musician, today was a day we just got to take a minute and let it ride. We just got to take minute and let it breathe (thanks again, Mary Beth - once again, you nailed the soundtrack for our days). It felt pretty darn good.

3 comments:

  1. Oh this made my day. It's 4:30 AM (our time). I am awake a bit too early, but reading your post makes it worth it!

    Cherish those blank squares on the calendar. Some of the best and most "true" times are had when there is no agenda ;]

    And this song... this song has provided me with an alternate "perspective" when I have needed it most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day. Elsa's hair looks great! And I like the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love weekends like that and I really love Elsa's hair!

    ReplyDelete