"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Good Bye 2011



Oh, the metaphors here are many, but I'll let you
choose your favorite.

I think I can say with all honesty that you were the hardest, most disorienting, most heartbreaking, most emotional (well, maybe second to 1993 - puberty was pretty rough on me), most inspirational, most heartwarming and most important year of my life thus far.

Hello 2012! 
Here's to hopes for simple routines, a slower pace, daily victories and more mind-blowing growth (for the entire family). Here's to hugs, new discoveries, sunny days by the beach, tickles, bike rides, snuggles, stories, new traditions and laughter. Here's to being fully present in the moment rather than constantly looking ahead for the next adventure or challenge (not really a resolution, per se, but definitely where I'll be putting my energy for a while - it won't be easy, believe me).



Actually, if today is any indication, the the first day of 2012 started off on the right foot in terms of that whole simplicity and being present thing. Elsa and I woke early (especially considering the entire family was wide awake at midnight to bring in the New Year) for an appointment at the salon. Elsa was scheduled for a trim and braid. We made a girl's morning of it with coffee (ice water for the wee one - her request) and breakfast, car chatting, and an injera-filled lunch. The boys spent their morning building model rockets and gorging themselves on Indian food at the buffet down the street.

When we finally came back together as a family of four it was finger nail painting (more girl time), wrestling (more boy time), shooting baskets with the neighbor girls (kid time while daddy snores on the couch and mommy catches up on blogs time), card games, movie watching and Buster snuggling. We were all present doing effortlessly what we've been fighting for and consciously and intentionally learning to do these past 10.5 months, being - yes, just being - a family.

Boy time - beating each other with A's flip flop
and loving it.

The results of girl time. Seriously, could she be any
prettier?


As the day was winding down Elsa and Buster did some snuggling on the
couch. Snuggling for Buster means he lays on top of you (an 80 pound
lap-pitbull). Elsa loved it. When it was time to get up for dinner she didn't
want Buster to have to end the snuggle session so she tucked him in. He was
more than happy to oblige her.


3 comments:

  1. Here's to a 2012 full of joyful moments and days, heck, weeks and months, like this. And seriously, E is beeeeautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love Elsa's hair. It's great to see you all just being in the moment. Ahhhh...life is bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! The kids look so cute and your dog looks a lot like mine.

    ReplyDelete