We didn't meet up with our friends Jill and Ziggy as planned until after the tree was lit and had to sprint across the last block to arrive just in time to see the lights flick on. The kids got their first candy canes from Abagena and marveled at how the lights got put up so high in the big tree. Then we strolled down Main Street where we danced to some local live music while waiting for nothing other than snow to fall at the intersection of C Street and Main. Ashagre seemed a little frightened by the snow but then excitedly proclaimed that he loved it as we headed toward our car.
| Waiting for the snow with Jill and Ziggy. |
![]() |
| Dancing with Daddy to stay warm. |
| Crowd shot taken by Elsa. The snow eventually came out of the light fixture seen in the middle top portion of the picture. |
Over a dinner of cheap Chinese food Ashagre enthusiastically shared with Daddy the story in the special Christmas book, An Angel Just Like Me, I read them for the first time last night about a brown skinned boy named Tyler that goes searching for an angel that looks like him for the top of his family's Christmas tree. When we got home, the kids found day three on their advent calendar and then rushed to get ready for bed so I could read them their second surprise special Christmas book, The All-I-Ever-Want Christmas Doll. Maybe we can make this thing work after all.
We're going to buy a few more lights and a wreath for the house tomorrow.

Yay! I was in the middle of drafting an intervention request letter to Santa. Looks like we won't be needing it after all.
ReplyDeleteI opened door 3 on my advent calendar this morning and ate the chocolate for breakfast.
I love your attitude - and I love the ways you allow your kids to show you the way. This is truly one of the great lessons of being a parent - our children are often our teachers.
ReplyDeleteI am so pleased that you are creating memories for you and your kids that fit how you want to spend time: reading and being together. It just doesn't get much better. Except seeing sheer delight on their faces. It makes it all fun and allows us to be kids again! Enjoy the season
ReplyDeleteDakota! My aunt shared this link on FB: http://babybolte.blogspot.com/2010/11/advent-challenge.html
ReplyDeleteThough it has a Christian slant, it is otherwise right up your alley! If 30 days seems like a lot, you could even do the 12 days of Christmas and not have to think of/repeat things. I might make one for my classroom for next year.