"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Saturday, March 5, 2011

If Only I Could Think Faster On My Feet...

...I would have told the older lady at the drug store yesterday that said in a very snarky tone, "Well EVERYONE knows how to say hi," in response to my explanation that Ashagre doesn't speak English yet (he had shrugged his shoulders and turned his back to her when she said hi to him):

Do you know how to say hello in Sidamenga?

How about Amharic?

Because Amharic is his second language in 5 years and now he is learning his third, English.  I think we'll give him a few weeks to figure it out.

Yes, his behavior was rude and I will expect a different response once he feels more comfortable in this crazy country where few people look like him and no one sounds like him, but for now a bit of understanding and an open mind would be appreciated.

(End of Rant, Thanks).


7 comments:

  1. It blows my mind to think of all the changes Ashagre (and Elsa) have been through and that he still has a smile that lights up the world! You're all doing such a great job. Ranting can be healthy. Thanks for your amazing posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, don't worry about stupid people. Trust me, they are a dime a dozen. I run into them daily and everyone has an opinion. Especially the "Crazy Shoe Ladies"!!! (See my blog for reference! LOL) Seriously, try not to let em bug ya too much, you WILL run into more of them. You'll also run into rude adults, (we had to tell Talia that people that didn't respond back with "Hello" had earphones in, because her heart kept getting broken when they were obviously ignoring her....people suck...) try not to let them bother ya too much either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I run into that lady when I come there, I'll give her a piece of my mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tegan - I love your posts on the Crazy Shoe Ladies! They are some of my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rude? He was not being rude! He was being sane and self protective. I love the idea of teaching people how to say something welcoming and inviting in Sidamenga and Ahmaric. I've been checking on this blog over a year, and was so blown away and delighted to see everyone here on the same page, let alone hemisphere. Holding out ease for their transitioning hearts, and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama C - Thanks for the different perspective on his "rudeness". You're right, knowing him as an individual and knowing his story allows us to recognize his behavior for what it was. By the way - I'm honored to see a comment from you. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashagre, his family and his friends will teach the world. Not everyone will learn. This my voice of reason.

    My Grandma Bear reaction: rapidly escalated blood pressure, "come on Grandma Wendy, let's do this thing, me first"; then,the poor woman must have been blinded by the bright sunlight emitted from his little face and stumbled. She attempted to reach out and didn't know how, her loss. You and Ashsgre's feelings and responses were just and right. You rant girl, we'll listen.
    Love mom

    ReplyDelete