"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Monday, December 10, 2012

Sun-Kissed Christmas Tree

Holidays this time around are a little different. Last year, the kids were experiencing the holidays for the first time. They had no idea what to expect. It was super fun introducing them and also a little bit nerve-wracking trying to determine and establish what our family's traditions would be. This year, the kids anticipate each holiday. They delight in doing them again - the way our family does them. For Christmas, they expect us to cut our own tree, bake cookies for Abagena, and make some new ornaments for the tree. They are looking forward to picking out their special ornament for the year and are excited to pick out presents for one another. They've already picked out and donated a present for Toys for Tots and are enjoying reading Christmas stories before bed - the collection from last year pulled out with the Christmas lights, plus a few new ones.

Yesterday, just like last year, we braved 80 degree weather to go out and cut down our tree. We tromped through the field, weaving in and out of the maze of trees, to find the perfect Monterey Pine.  Ashagre took tree hunting very seriously this year and ultimately chose our tree. The boy was in his element; he helped Daddy carry the tree all the way in from the field. Elsa enjoyed sweeping the floor with her pine broom and laughed hysterically when the tree almost fell on her (it sounds scary, but it was really funny). Brent, of course, was in charge of cutting the tree and securing it to his truck. I was on picture duty and stood as the beacon of safety as Elsa leapt out of the way of the falling tree, laughing hysterically alongside her.




Our tree.











As I sit here and wait for these pictures to load I am engulfed in the smell of fresh pine. There's nothing that can bring my Idaho-born heart into a state of homey contentedness like the smell of fresh pine trees. I hope this smell sticks with the kids too, even though they're not growing up in the middle of a 40 acre pine forest. I hope someday it will flood them the with the same sense of comfort and fond childhood memories as it does for me.

4 comments:

  1. So nice to read about your year two festivities, as your family traditions get ever-more securely "rooted."

    Savor the moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what ornaments the kids pick out! Last years were great! I sure wish I was out there.:(

    ReplyDelete