That's what we've been doing. The days are short and cold (although they would probably make a few of you with more dramatic climates than that of coastal southern California dig out your swimsuit and beach ball right about now); There's not much on our agenda. We're sticking close to home. School, work, projects around the house, lots of legos and make-believe play, and the occasional birthday party to attend.
We've been relishing in the joys of reading...
...loving on and being loved by our dogs...
...and digging for dinosaur bones...
We wrapped up a basketball season with some great assists and a clean shot in the last quarter...
...and went on a bike ride adventure with the whole family (daddy finally fixed his bike).
The darker, shorter days seem to be well-matched to our family's needed pace right now. In this season of hibernation, I'm working hard not to let my heart hibernate too. Despite the smiles and sunshine shown above, our last rough patch was a doosie, and I can't say I faired too well. I'm the adult; I try hard not to take in personally, but sometimes I shut down and detach. It's too much; it's too heavy. I need to work hard to open back up again, accept that we're still moving forward, and find gratitude for and be refreshed by the growth on the other side. If only I didn't know these new calmer waters weren't temporary, that the hard stuff will be back, that my heart will have to break once again, maybe it would be easier to take comfort in the good of the present. Hibernation, yeah, that's where we're at right now.
I think it's good to hibernate this time of year. Sometimes we need to detach to be able to come back full on. It is part of the healing, for everyone. Hang in there.xoxxo
ReplyDeleteI love the feeling of hiberanting...although tiny legs that need to jump have little time when we get home at 5:30 and its already dark :(
ReplyDeleteOkay, now that I've stopped laughing at the notion of winter existing in Southern California, let me say I think a little detachment can be a good thing. I find when the going gets rough, especially on the sensory front, I start to shut down.. and then I actually make more rational decisions in the moment. I can be much grumpier without the detachment. You need to emotionally recharge.
ReplyDeleteSincerely,
A former east bay girl who is currently freezing and marveling at the childhood memory of wearing massive winter coats in the California 'winter'.
I'm taking hibernation pretty literally over here... been sleeping 10 hours a night since Thanksgiving. I can't see a good reason to resist it.
ReplyDeleteHibernating in California sounds blissful right now. Do enjoy.
ReplyDeleteAmy