"I wanna have friends that I can trust, that love me for the man I’ve become not the man I was. I wanna have friends that will let me be all alone when being alone is all that I need. I wanna fit in to the perfect space, feel natural and safe in a volatile place."

- The Avett Brothers

Saturday, September 29, 2012

What? I'm the Mother of an 8 Year Old?

I come out of hiding to share pictures of Elsa's 8th, yes she's 8 (on Wednesday), birthday party. We have, literally, been counting down the days to Elsa's 8th birthday for 365 days. She has had it planned for a year and held steadfast to her original vision. All the girl wanted was to go rollerskating with her friends (and hopefully skate in her own roller skates). She made it pretty easy for us, and, as always it was fun to deliver. I'm pretty sure she was not disappointed.

She invited her entire class to the roller skating rink and then we had everyone come back to our place for lunch, a pinata, some time on the trampoline, and ice cream sundaes (the girl still does not like cake). Being that it was the first month of school being back in session, I wasn't able to put as much time into this party as I did Ashagre's this summer, but I still think it turned out great. Elsa was beaming all day long, and all of the other kids seemed to have a great time too. There was one kid that, literally, when it was his turn to decide what he wanted in his sundae just had to take a minute to grin and dance in delight he was so excited.

No more rambling is required. I think the pictures say it all.

Birthday girl. Counting down the minutes for the
party to start. 30...
One present before we head to the rink. Grandma
Wendy comes through with roller skates!

Think she's excited?
One, two...
Three!
Burning off some excitement while waiting for the skating rink to open. 





When this boy goes skating, he skates until he's told
its time to go home.

All lined up smallest to tallest for the pinata. Can you find the birthday girl?

Slugger.




Lots of this.

Ashagre's there for Brent for moral support.


After this photo op, she promptly pushed this homemade piece of chocolate
cream pie back to Uncle Woosha Dog. Pie is too close in relation to cake.
Not gonna happen.

Yes, the party's over but the fun has just begun.

6 comments:

  1. i wanna go skating! Happy Birthday Elsa!!
    *Have you shown her her baby pictures that have been discovered? What does she think??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the pictures of Brent as she is opening her gifts. Priceless facial expression. :) Looks like a blast! You guys do a party up right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tara Autumn. Yes, she's seen the pictures. She LOVES them. We look at them a lot and I have printed some of them for her to keep in her special photo album. I get the sense that the more we can see of her past the easier it is for her to integrate that life into the life she has now - something that has really been a struggle for her but is oh so important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roller skates and roller skating is a great idea! I didn't realize Ventura had a roller rink, we'll have to get down there. We just did bowling for my daughter's 12th Birthday (tomorrow) and it was really fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. The birthday tiara is brilliant, but the smile under it is absolutely precious. Happy birthday E!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great fun! Happy Birthday to a most adorable 8 year old!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete