![]() |
| Evidence of the fall. Piggies left stranded on their backs with their money-shielding stoppers plucked from their bellies. |
Oh Target. What do I say? You (and your inclusive marketing) have single-handedly served up my once innocent and unwanting kids a huge dose of the consumerism bug.
I've got to hand it to you. You, unlike much of the rest of the media my kids are exposed to on a daily basis, got it. You knew to include kids that looked like them in your glossy, colorful advertisement. The one styled to look like an inviting and interesting magazine. The one that arrived conveniently in our mailbox for the kids to discover after school on Friday afternoon.
Kids that look just like them! Kids in the age range of six to seven years old with beautiful brown skin and heads full of big kinky curls. Not just one brown skinned child either - kids are smarter than that - you knew to represent kids with brown skin like them equally to their blonde-haired counterparts. Both boys and girls too (oh you really are a master at your craft).
Why? Why do you get it when TV shows and text books don't? Oh, I know. You know how important it is; its powerful stuff. After all, there's money on the line. You know they'll notice. And you want them to notice because if they notice they'll feel represented and if they feel represented they'll want to have all the same shiny new toys the kids are playing with in your magazine. You know that if they see themselves in your ads they'll want to be the selves they see in those ads.
You did it. You initiated my kids into that oh-so-American club that their dad and I had been sheltering them from for over a year. They've tasted the fruit. They've handed over their first fistfulls of wrinkled, green bills to the nice young man in the bright red shirt. They've waited (not so) patiently for him to hand over the crinkly white bag with your logo all over it. They've walked proudly through your automatic doors back out into the world as consumers. And they want more!





I like your blogs a lot!!! I think you should send this one to Target. I think they would like to know how they are appreciated for representing all races, which is unusual for a lot of companies. I didn't know they were that loved:)
ReplyDeleteI also like how they recently hired a young boy with Down Syndrome to be in their ads~a great way to represent children with special needs.
ReplyDeleteHmm. No offense to my commenters (I love commenters!), but this post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Maybe I missed the mark in my writing.
ReplyDeleteYes, I guess its a good thing that Target is inclusive in its advertising campaign, but my point is they only bother because it sells more stuff. Am I cynical? Maybe, but if they weren't motivated to sell more stuff and instead their goal was, say, to educate my kids (as is the case in textbooks) do you think they'd try so hard? Do you think they'd be so good at it? I would say the world around us can provide that answer and it is no.
Thank you for reminding me to celebrate when I only find motivation for sarcasm.
You are hilarious. I'm a little disappointed they didn't have reusable shopping bags.
ReplyDeleteI love the photo of the abandoned pigs on the table. There was a board game in the 80s called Pig Mania with two tiny pigs and a shaker can... you'd put the two pigs in the can and shake it and then "roll" them onto the table like dice. You got a different amount of points depending on the positions the pigs landed it. Your photo is definitely one of the described positions with one on its side and one on its back.
DOH! JJ is calling us out on the shopping bags, babe. BUSTED!
DeleteI guess now that we've been caught (gotta remember to be careful what we put on the internet!!), I have another confession...I made a veggie-lentil soup the other day....and...
..I didn't compost my scraps...
There, I said it. The compost bucket on the counter was overflowing, and it just rained..I didn't want to put on shoes to go empty it..so..
..so, thanks for the reminder....;) ;)
BTW..wasn't that game called "Pass the Pigs"?
@ Brent and JJ-- The version of the game we have is Pass the Pigs. Yet it does invoke Pig Mania when played. We have two sets of it here (almost). We bought a second set after losing one of the pigs.
ReplyDelete@ Dakota-- I believe I understood your "message," as precisely and sarcastically as it was intended.